Average Ascii Code

Peter Snyders

Aug 20, 2021, 3:56:31 AM8/20/21
to MathJax Users
Can someone please tell me the ASCII code for the average symbol? It is an x with a macron on top. Many thanks. Peter

sanchit

Aug 20, 2021, 4:17:56 AM8/20/21
to mathja...@googlegroups.com

Hi.

The average symbol must be in the documentation of ASCII code and I'm very late learning x with a mathematical macron on top.

Thank you.

sanchit.

On 8/20/2021 1:26 PM, Peter Snyders wrote:

Can someone please tell me the ASCII code for the average symbol? It is an x with a macron on top. Many thanks. Peter --
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MathJax Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mathjax-users/1cc6f888-e3bc-4606-9ae9-6251bd5c18c2n%40googlegroups.com.

David Farmer

Aug 20, 2021, 6:09:57 AM8/20/21
to mathja...@googlegroups.com

Do you mean

\overline{x}

which also can be written

\overline x
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mathjax-users/9cb0ce9f-2dc2-d700-bb35-30778c717955%40gmail.com.

sanchit

Aug 20, 2021, 6:26:02 AM8/20/21
to mathja...@googlegroups.com, David Farmer

Sure! Why not? You can write whatever you want, it just doesn't matter.
\And \over \line (BackSlash) is important can get through documentation.

Thank you.

sanchit.

David Farmer

Aug 20, 2021, 6:37:14 AM8/20/21
to mathja...@googlegroups.com

If you are asking about the documentation, \overline and numerous
other availabe commands are listed:

http://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/input/tex/macros/index.html
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mathjax-users/c8f78799-40f9-0f76-6fd9-564f75cc3d1b%40gmail.com.

sanchit

Aug 20, 2021, 6:42:40 AM8/20/21
to mathja...@googlegroups.com, David Farmer

Thank you so much. will take a look.

Thank you.

sanchit.

William F Hammond

Aug 20, 2021, 11:53:56 AM8/20/21
to mathja...@googlegroups.com, David Farmer
HTML snippet:

(That's "x" followed immediately by U+0304 suitably text-encoded.)</p>

sanchit

Aug 20, 2021, 12:58:19 PM8/20/21
to mathja...@googlegroups.com, William F Hammond, David Farmer

In plain text (without MathJax): x̄

(That's "x" followed immediately by U+0304 suitably text-encoded.)

Pleas help email suport me UI fix in this stead of defficulect.

Thank you.

Sanchit.

John Stockton

Aug 21, 2021, 7:24:52 AM8/21/21
to MathJax Users

ASCII is an ancient 7-bit system designed by and only for Americans; you want a 32-bit (or more) UniCode symbol.   Using https://www.unicode.org/charts/charindex.html, I've not found one; but there may be in some language a character or accented character that could be used.

--
JRS

William F Hammond

Aug 21, 2021, 1:34:49 PM8/21/21
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Unicode provides code values for only a few latin, greek, and cyrillic characters with macrons.

Unless a latin, greek, or cyrillic character is on that short list, one must use the Unicode "combining macron", which is U+0304.  The latin characters on the short list are the 5 vowels and 'y'.  Here follows "latin small letter a with a macron" ā (which is U+0101) and here follows the regular 'a' with the combining macron ā.  How much these two look the same depends on the rendering agent.

My source for these observations is

                  http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/NamesList.txt

sanchit

Aug 23, 2021, 5:34:09 AM8/23/21