Re: [Math Game Design] Digest for mathgamedesign@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Lisi Gopin Geffen

Jun 10, 2012, 1:34:56 AM6/10/12
to mathgam...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jean-Baptiste and Rolf,

This sounds like a really interesting project - is it possible to get promo codes to try it out and give feedback?

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 1:06 PM, <mathgam...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/mathgamedesign/topics

    Maria Droujkova <drou...@gmail.com> Jun 08 06:44AM -0400

    Dear Jean-Baptiste and Rolf,

    Thank you for this discussion, and thank you for creating DragonBox. I sent
    you invites to the Math Game Design group, whom I am CCing on this
    exchange, because many people there will be interested in your work - and
    in the issue of defining games in particular.

    For people who are joining this conversation, you can see some screenshots
    here: http://wewanttoknow.com/game-based-learning/

    I loved the project, and I will be referring people to it as an example of
    several strong aspects in math interactives/games design. In my review, I
    said the project is promising, largely because it's based on a math
    metaphor. Users can learn within metaphor-based environments, not just
    practice what they already know! I also raised an issue discussed below -
    WHAT IS A GAME?

    > As a mathematics teacher I am obviously interested in high level thinking
    > tasks. But it takes some time before we can provide the right level of
    > choices that can be interesting for players.

    This is in response to my comment: "Game can be defined as a series of
    interesting choices. Players are supposed to make a choice and see in-game
    consequences. Choices also support the development of tactics and
    strategies. There are no player choices that I have seen, just moves that
    are correct or not. This leads me to define this project as an interactive
    tutor or a simulation, not a game."

    I agree that low levels of any game, or whole games for beginners, can't
    provide high level choices. They have to provide low-level choices.

    In a game, there must be some room for play.

    Players must have some agency and autonomy to make decisions within the
    game world that have in-world consequences they can observe, not just a
    "fail" message (visual or textual).

    To use another term, players can't always be railroaded into one sequence
    of actions they must follow.

    > largest possible group. We have players who are 5-6 years old playing and
    > solving literal equations...

    > So the progression must be as smooth as possible.

    I want to applaud you on the progression curve, in particular. Nice flow
    there! That takes a lot of thought and a lot of knowledge of learners. I
    think this will even work for younger kids (2-4 year olds) with parent
    assistant. Within some of my projects, I work with kids under five, and
    this looks promising for them!

    Some designers argue that there must be steeper increases in difficulty,
    randomly sprinkled through your progression curve, to increase player
    interest. I am of two minds about it for math games in particular, because
    of high levels of math anxiety even some six-year-olds are already likely
    to have, unfortunately.

    > no prerequisite knowledge will have to figure out how to solve that kind of
    > equations, something which is never done in a classroom based on
    > instructions. Or decide which operations to perform first.

    A lot of thinking is something we love to see in kids! It is a big plus of
    your project. However, not every entity that requires thinking is a game.
    For example, problems, debates, engineering projects, question and answer
    sessions may all require active mathematical thinking without becoming
    games.

    > thousands of pupils.

    > Don t hesitate to share your thoughts. If you intend to design games
    > yourself, there is certainly room for cooperation : )

    Excellent news - I am very happy for you! When you do testing, you can ask
    kids to give suggestions for DragonBox 2, as well.

    Collaboration sounds good, too.

    Cheers,
    Maria Droujkova

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group mathgamedesign.
You can post via email.
To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty message.
For more options, visit this group.

"Let's build a better math game."