New Math App for the iPad

Colleen King

Feb 21, 2012, 11:25:39 AM2/21/12
to Math Game Design
I recently published a math app that introduces algebraic thinking to
upper elementary students (ages 10+). It's the first in a series of
math apps I'm calling Math on Planet Zog. In this episode, the Zogs
are attempting to delay shuttle missions by making it difficult to
determine their individual weights. They accomplish this by weighing
themselves in groups of one or more Zog types. There are four
different Zogs in all. Mathematically, the Zogs are setting up
increasingly difficult simultaneous equations that students must try
to solve.

The algebraic equations are represented visually. The Zogs are
personified variables and equality is expressed through the use of a
balance scale. Even the problem solving steps are tangible objects in
the game. Students may scale groups of Zogs, combine groups, and
remove Zogs whose weights are known. The effects of each process are
visually apparent to students. Students are encouraged to try various
approaches. There is no risk in trying because each step of the
problem solving process can be undone. Once students have solved the
puzzle and determined the weight of each Zog, they apply their
solution to a new problem. Given the known Zog weights, students must
assemble a shuttle team whose total weight matches the shuttle's
payload.

The app is available free of charge and there are no ads or in-game
purchases. Please download the app and, if you think it has
educational value, I would greatly appreciate a review and rating. At
the moment, the app is lost in a sea of drill and kill practice games.
I think this app offers a more thoughtful, problem solving approach to
mathematics that is lacking in the App store.

App Title: Shuttle Mission Math
iTunes Link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shuttle-mission-math/id498617241?ls=1&mt=8
Video Intro: http://www.mathplayground.com/shuttle_mission_math.html

Many thanks!

Colleen

kathleen Offenholley

Feb 22, 2012, 7:08:33 PM2/22/12
to mathgam...@googlegroups.com
Colleen,
This game sounds awesome. I will see if I can try it this weekend and give you a review. :-)

Kathleen

Feb 22, 2012, 9:27:15 PM2/22/12
to mathgam...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Kathleen! I really appreciate that.

Colleen