How do you call it if not "gamification"?

Maria Droujkova

Feb 7, 2012, 10:20:51 PM2/7/12
to mathgam...@googlegroups.com
There was a discussion recently (on EdWeb I think) about terminology. I think the term "gamification" applies to when a memorization task or a fluency drill is "wrapped" in some game mechanics - like Timez Attack for example. Some people disagreed. What do you think? Is there a better term for such games, in contrast with intrinsically mathematical games?

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
919-388-1721

Make math your own, to make your own math

Garrett Eastman

Feb 7, 2012, 10:52:29 PM2/7/12
to mathgam...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maria, the Gamification wiki offers some definitions: http://gamification.org/wiki/Gamification as well as some words on intrinsic motivation
http://gamification.org/wiki/Intrinsic_Motivation and a rewards concept called SAPS http://gamification.org/wiki/SAPS as well as a page devoted to education http://gamification.org/wiki/Gamification_of_Education which doesn't appear to have been updated recently

A recent talk by an EA exec about gamification and its importance for companies and social media
http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/30/bing-gordon-every-startup-ceo-should-understand-gamification/

I don't know what otherwise than "extrinsic motivation?"  http://malvasiabianca.org/archives/2010/04/jesse-schell-games-and-extrinsic-motivation/

Some researchers use "schema" to describe game play "pleasures and rewards" http://www.hindawi.com/GetPDF.aspx?doi=10.1155/2008/216784

Framework for Designing and Evaluating Game Achievements http://www.digra.org/dl/db/11307.59151.pdf

Computer Games and Sociocultural Play: An Activity Theoretical Perspective (extrinsic and "out of game play")
http://files.meetup.com/1510990/gamesandcultOct2.PDF

"Let's build a better math game."

Mike South

Feb 8, 2012, 10:27:39 AM2/8/12
to mathgam...@googlegroups.com
If I was making up the rules, I would call a thin wrapper "shallow gamification" and an actual, authentic integration of math concepts into a game "deep gamification".

mike

Maria Droujkova

Feb 8, 2012, 11:18:50 AM2/8/12
to mathgam...@googlegroups.com
Mike, I want to work with it - I like the metaphor of depth a lot.

I just did a teacher workshop on games in for the Bermuda math teacher community. A lot of people there liked, for example, Tarsia - a "content-neutral" jigsaw wrapper for matching expressions, or any question/response really. Many teachers said they make custom puzzles for their individual classes and even individual students.

So maybe we can talk about deep game-content ties, as in game mechanics intrinsic within particular topic. And contrast this with shallow game-content ties, which work for multiple topics. There can be multiple depths, too. For example, "Set" is just for sets, "Math Scrabble" works on equations - any equations, but only equations - and "Jeopardy" works on pretty much everything.