My NSF game grant made it to Senator Coburn's "Wastebook"

Maria Droujkova

Dec 22, 2013, 4:19:56 AM12/22/13
to mathgam...@googlegroups.com
I am the PI on "Contemporary Studies of the Zombie Apocalypse." We are running the beta testing for the prototype right now.

Senator Coburn releases annual reports where he outlines wasteful spending by the government. This year, he took a stab at our grant, together with other two grants about games (not zombie-related). He also disliked Homeland Security using a zombie-themed retreat in their training. He mostly criticizes games (and zombies) on the basis that they are not realistic.

My favorite part of the argument:
"Zombies are certainly not new to video games and have been used to teach math as well. Uncle Sam must have been so stunned by the mongrels that he didn’t realize other zombie-themed math games and apps already exist, such “Man Vs. Zombies” and “Maths of the Dead.” In addition, a simple search for other math games and apps available for iPhones or Android turns up thousands of results. Free learning apps are widely available."

I think I'll have it framed.

Cheers,
Dr. Maria Droujkova
CoburnWastebookDec2013CSZAgame.png

Andrius Kulikauskas

Dec 22, 2013, 9:54:42 AM12/22/13
to mathgam...@googlegroups.com
Maria,

I just want to take the opportunity to thank you and all of your
colleagues for your vital work in making sense of Math education. More
than 90% of what is currently taught, and how and why it is taught, is
absolutely barbaric. Time and again, you're showing the alternative,
what is possible.

I'm writing from Lithuania where I'm starting on my book on "absolute
truth", how to arrive at it from "relative truth". Here's an illustrated
eighteen page summary: http://www.selflearners.net/thetruth.pdf

Good to stay in touch!

Andrius

Andrius Kulikauskas
m...@ms.lt
http://www.selflearners.net

2013.12.22 11:19, Maria Droujkova rašė:
> I am the PI on "Contemporary Studies of the Zombie Apocalypse." We are
> running the beta testing for the prototype right now.
>
> Senator Coburn releases annual reports where he outlines wasteful
> spending by the government. This year
> <http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?a=Files.Serve&File_id=0cc34c92-b901-425d-a131-d3151d7216ef>,
> he took a stab at our grant, together with other two grants about
> games (not zombie-related). He also disliked Homeland Security using a
> zombie-themed retreat in their training. He mostly criticizes games
> (and zombies) on the basis that they are not realistic.
>
> My favorite part of the argument:
> "Zombies are certainly not new to video games and have been used to
> teach math as well. Uncle Sam must have been so stunned by the
> mongrels that he didn’t realize other zombie-themed math games and
> apps already exist, such “Man Vs. Zombies” and “Maths of the Dead.” In
> addition, a simple search for other math games and apps available for
> iPhones or Android turns up thousands of results. Free learning apps
> are widely available."
>
> I think I'll have it framed.
>

> Cheers,
> Dr. Maria Droujkova
> moebiusnoodles.com <http://moebiusnoodles.com>
> 919-388-1721
> =~+~+~+~=
> --
> --
>
> "Let's build a better math game."
>
> ---
> Groups "Math Game Design" group.
> an email to mathgamedesig...@googlegroups.com.

Keith Devlin

Dec 23, 2013, 7:10:44 PM12/23/13
to mathgam...@googlegroups.com
Staggering. I sent out a tweet about it!

Patrick Vennebush

Dec 23, 2013, 7:40:37 PM12/23/13
to mathgam...@googlegroups.com

Congrats!