FYI: free graphing calculator (software)

kirby urner

Jan 18, 2011, 7:29:22 PM1/18/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Paul Libbrecht

Jan 19, 2011, 2:38:43 AM1/19/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Le 19 janv. 2011 à 01:29, kirby urner a écrit :

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9caca722-5235-401c-8d3f-9e242b794c3a

Tastes like the old graphing-calculator that was on MacOS 8.6-MacOS 9.2 but is discontinued.

> Dunno if open source, doesn't look to be.

Nope.

I wonder if someone can say how much better that is than Wolfram|Alpha

paul

kirby urner

Jan 19, 2011, 3:06:02 PM1/19/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
I'm usually on the warpath against calculators, just cuz I think they've postponed the future shock
of learning more computer science as just more ordinary workaday maths.

Externalizing future shock only works for so long.  Fortunately, we have more schools using texts like 'Mathematics for the Digital Age...' by Litvins.

Math 2.0 is at the forefront, as you can't play with all these applets if all you use is a calculator.  The iPhone is probably the final straw.

Kirby

Murray

Jan 20, 2011, 1:53:41 AM1/20/11
to MathFuture
I wrote a review of its predecessor, Microsoft Math 3, which sold for
$19.95.

http://www.squarecirclez.com/blog/microsoft-math-30-review/713

This new version 4 appears to be free (no nag screens or "your
evaluation will cease in 29 days" or whatever).

Regards,
Murray Bourne
Interactive Mathematics: http://www.intmath.com/
squareCircleZ: http://www.squarecirclez.com/blog/