Welder qualification

saleem manhappulath

May 7, 2024, 12:36:06 PMMay 7
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear All

    I have a ss wps P-8 to P8, i have plan to qualify welder. Can I use cs material for welder qualification with ss wps

Thanks & Best Regards
Saleem manhappulath

Mob:+966533595849
WhatsApp:+919526445936

From iPhone xs

Amol Betkar

May 8, 2024, 2:49:16 AMMay 8
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear Saleem,

When qualifying a welder, it's crucial to ensure that the welding procedure specification (WPS) matches the materials being welded. While it's possible to use carbon steel (CS) material for welder qualification, it's not advisable if you intend to weld stainless steel (SS) later on.

The reason is that CS and SS have different metallurgical properties, including composition, thermal conductivity, and susceptibility to corrosion. Welding procedures and parameters that work well for CS may not be suitable for SS, and vice versa. Therefore, using CS material for welder qualification with an SS WPS may not accurately reflect the welder's ability to work with SS.

For a valid qualification, it's best to use the same material (SS) for both the WPS and the qualification test. This ensures that the welder's skills are properly assessed for the specific material they will be working with in practice. If you need to qualify welders for both CS and SS welding, you should have separate WPSs and qualification tests for each material.

Regards,

AB

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Best regards,

Amol K.B
B.E(Mech), CSWIP 3.2.2, NACE CIP 1 & ASNT LII(4M)

kumar sumit

May 8, 2024, 4:18:31 AMMay 8
to material...@googlegroups.com
I think, yes you can. Only TIG process.

KATHIRAVAN MURUGESAN

Mohamed Ali

May 8, 2024, 5:10:50 AMMay 8
to material...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you can.
Please find below ASME Sec-9 Interpretation.

image.png

venkateswara reddy Desireddy

May 8, 2024, 11:42:33 AMMay 8
to material...@googlegroups.com
as per ASME sex IX ,for GTAW , GMAW P1 qualified welder can do P8 welding also.

Anup N K E

May 8, 2024, 11:42:37 AMMay 8
to material...@googlegroups.com
If welder is qualified using a CS WPS using TIG process (i.e. without backing and filler wire F-no. 6) then this welder is qualified to weld SS (i.e. with backing) with filler wire F no - 6.

Regards,

Anup NKE

saleem manhappulath

May 8, 2024, 1:09:56 PMMay 8
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear sir

   Please see the attached file ,
QW-423 ,

Thanks & Best Regards
Saleem manhappulath

Mob:+966533595849
WhatsApp:+919526445936

From iPhone xs

venkateswara reddy Desireddy

May 8, 2024, 9:16:37 PMMay 8
to material...@googlegroups.com
If F no changed we have to qualify welder for that one.
F6 qualified welder get all F6.

venkateswara reddy Desireddy

May 8, 2024, 9:16:39 PMMay 8
to material...@googlegroups.com
Without backing qualified welder with backing also qualified.

KATHIRAVAN MURUGESAN

May 11, 2024, 1:52:40 AMMay 11
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

Can u explain anyone where it will be mentioned in take welds must be weld in qualified welder's.

Sex ix or b31.3

Mohamed Ali

May 14, 2024, 7:41:55 AMMay 14
to material...@googlegroups.com

pradip kumar Sil

May 31, 2024, 12:42:09 AMMay 31
to material...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you can use CS base material with SS filler and purging

Amol Betkar

May 31, 2024, 1:09:28 AMMay 31
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear Saleem,

To determine whether you can use carbon steel (CS) material for welder qualification when you have a stainless steel (SS) Welding Procedure Specification (WPS) that is for P-8 to P-8 materials, we need to consider the relevant codes and standards governing welder qualification.

  1. WPS and P-Number Groups: The Welding Procedure Specification (WPS) you have is for welding P-8 to P-8 materials. In the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (BPVC) Section IX, P-Numbers are used to group materials for welding qualification. P-8 refers to a group of austenitic stainless steels.

  2. Welder Performance Qualification: According to ASME Section IX, a welder's qualification is typically done to demonstrate their ability to produce sound welds. The welder qualification test should be performed using the same material group (P-Number) as the WPS. This ensures that the welder is proficient in welding the specific materials and processes described in the WPS.

  3. Using Different Materials for Qualification: ASME Section IX states that a welder qualified on a specific P-Number material is not automatically qualified to weld materials of a different P-Number. Therefore, if you use carbon steel (which is typically a P-1 material) for the welder qualification, this would not qualify the welder for welding P-8 materials (stainless steel) according to the WPS you have.

No, you cannot use carbon steel (P-1 material) for welder qualification if your WPS is for stainless steel (P-8 to P-8). The welder must be qualified using materials that fall within the same P-Number grouping as specified in the WPS, which in this case is P-8 (austenitic stainless steel).

Recommendation:

To qualify a welder for the SS WPS (P-8 to P-8), you should use austenitic stainless steel materials for the qualification test to ensure compliance with ASME Section IX requirements.

On Tue, 7 May 2024 at 22:06, saleem manhappulath <salee...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787
---

Uma sankar Sankar

Jun 20, 2024, 1:08:28 AM (10 days ago) Jun 20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear saleem

  I have a ss wps P-8 to P8, i have plan to qualify welder. Can I use cs material for welder qualification with ss wps( you can use)

QW-423 ALTERNATE BASE MATERIALS FOR

WELDER QUALIFICATION

QW-423.1 Base metal used for welder qualification may be substituted for the base metal specified in the WPS in accordance with the following table. Any base metal shown in the same row may be substituted in the performance qualification test coupon for the base metal(s) specified in the WPS followed during welder qualification. When a base metal shown in the left column of the table is used for welder qualification, the welder is qualified to weld all combinations of base metals shown in the right column, including unassigned metals of similar chemical composition to these metals

B.UmaSankar

WELDING INSPECTOR
Hyundai  marjan,KSA
0531403598