Ss to P91 Welding

HerculanJohn

Mar 17, 2023, 8:25:27 AM3/17/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Experts,
We are doing welding for Sa335 P91 to A182 F316 material. As per Wps Gtaw + smaw is welding sequence.
Filler is ERNICR-3 And ENICrFe3. But Electrode we are using ENiCrFe2.
During Gtaw welding there was no problem smooth welding but once me started Smaw than the electrode is not getting fused properly material is thrown out.
We are maintaining proper interpass continously as per Wps.
Kindly provide us valuable feedback.
Thanks & Regards,
John Rodrigues

pradip kumar Sil

Mar 17, 2023, 8:56:16 AM3/17/23
to materials-welding
P91 to SS pipe welding is not a good Engineering practice. Better to weld with any intermediate alloy like P22 piece in between.

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Chaitanya Purohit

Mar 18, 2023, 1:44:38 AM3/18/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
Intermediate buttering on P91 bevel to be done and complete the PWHT.

Later on weld SS to inconel.

PQR for guttering with PWHT is required.

On Fri, 17 Mar 2023, 17:55 HerculanJohn, <hjp...@gmail.com> wrote:

Vishwas Keskar Welding Manager WELDING

Mar 20, 2023, 12:41:22 AM3/20/23
to Materials & Welding
John
Problem seems to be with Welder and Power source.
Give training /practice of running  welding of ENiCrFe2.
After his practice , he can weld sound weld .
Ni consumable weld metal is sluggish due to its viscosity(Higher Ni %)
The speed /skill is important.

Thanks

Vishwas -IWE

james gerald

Mar 20, 2023, 10:49:45 PM3/20/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
No issue with using ENiCrFe2.

Normally PWHT is mandatory for P91 material and to avoid sensitization it would be preferable by below 2 methods.

1. Use a Transition PUP piece  welded to P91, comp[lete the PWHT and weld the PUP piece to 316,
2. By carrying out Buttering using Nickel base electrodes on P91 complete the PWHT and weld the buttered area to 316.

All Nickel base alloys are difficult to weld unless the welder has enough practice. Ni base alloys on melting forms a viscous fluid and difficult to weld as Floability is difficult and proper manipulation of weld pool is required. Your case please increase the Bevel angle to fecilitate flowabiity of liquid metal into the jpint/

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar