Wade Institute's 2021 Spring & Summer Professional Development Programs

Amanda Noble

Mar 1, 2021, 8:23:34 PM3/1/21
to mass...@googlegroups.com
Wade Institute for Science Education

2021 Spring and Summer Professional Development Programs

Learning and the Brain in the “New Normal” Classroom

Virtual 3-Session Focus Workshop for Grades K-12 Educators

March 27th, April 6th, April 13th, 2021

Understanding how we learn and how the brain works is critical to supporting learning! How can you enhance your understanding of hands-on, minds-on, inquiry-based science education and gain ideas to inspire deep learning in your socially-distanced, hybrid, or remote classroom? Join the Wade Institute for Science Education and guest educator Rob Payo, Director of K-12 Education at Denver Urban Gardens, for a series of interactive, virtual sessions on the latest research in mind and brain science and how it applies to teaching science.

Review how the brain functions, and explore topics including working memory and retention, the importance of movement, and other strategies that help to support learning. Investigate how remote learning and the pandemic have affected our students and ourselves from both cognitive and social/emotional perspectives and what that means as we enter a “new normal” in the classroom.

Formerly with the Denver Museum of Nature and Science (DMNS), Mr. Payo helped to coordinate a collaboration between DMNS, the American Museum of Natural History in New York and the Exploratorium in San Francisco to educate teachers on learning and the brain. He has helped hundreds of teachers apply these approaches in their teaching at local and national levels.

Put your mind on learning! Register online: https://www.wadeinstitutema.org/focus-workshops/

Announcing our 2021 Summer Professional Development Institutes!

Join us and our partners for unique professional development courses that connect you with hands-on, minds-on, inquiry-based investigations and increase your STEM content knowledge! Our institutes will connect you with scientists, engineers, and STEM professionals through live discussions and virtual site visits. Work with educators at our partner institutions to explore real-world phenomena through hands-on, minds-on investigations. Explore how to use these investigations with your students both remotely and in the classroom. Earn PDPs and optional graduate credits. Receive a toolkit containing materials to enable you to complete the inquiry-based, minds-on, hands-on investigations introduced during the course. As an added bonus, you will be invited to participate in optional field sessions with our partners when their facilities reopen to the public (free of charge). All courses include 5 virtual sessions plus 15 hours of online learning.

Seasons and Cycles: How Weather Affects Us and How We Affect the Weather

Virtual Professional Development Institute for Grades 3-8 Educators

Dates: Virtual Sessions June 21st – 25th

My Soda Bottle Ended Up Where? Exploring Plastic Problems and Solutions

Virtual Professional Development Institute for Grades 6-12 Educators

Dates: Virtual Sessions July 19th – 23rd

How Does Your Dinner Grow? Exploring Connections Between Food Production and Sustainability

Virtual Professional Development Institute for Grades 6-12 Educators

Dates: Virtual Sessions July 7th, 9th, 12th, 14th & 16th

Landscapes on the Move: Investigating Geologic Formations and Processes

Virtual Professional Development Institute for Grades 3-8 Educators

Dates: Virtual Sessions July 7th, 8th, 13th, 14th & 15th

Institutes provide an opportunity for you to increase your proficiency with remote learning and leverage the power of technology to support student learning in synchronous and asynchronous remote settings as well as in the classroom. Registration opens March 5th! Learn more: https://www.wadeinstitutema.org/spdi-k12/