Apply for the Green Ribbon Schools Award by Dec 22

Phoebe Beierle

Nov 6, 2023, 7:07:00 AM11/6/23
to Massachusetts Environmental Education Society

As environmental education advocates, I wanted to make sure you all knew about the Green Ribbon Schools Award!

This award is one of the few ways that we have to recognize the on-the-ground work happening to advance whole-school sustainability. States nominate schools, districts and/or higher education institutions to be reviewed by judges at the federal Department of Education. Winners from across the country are announced on Earth Day and acknowledged in person in DC with a special awards ceremony and reception. I'm including some additional details about the program and encourage you to share with your champion schools and among your networks! Even if the application is not in the cards this year, it's something to consider for future years.

2024 Green Ribbon Schools Awards Application Now Open

Launched by the U.S. Department of Education in 2011, the Green Ribbon Schools recognition program honors schools and districts that are exemplary in reducing environmental impact and costs, improving the health and wellness of students and staff, and delivering effective environmental and sustainability education that incorporates Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM), civic skills, and green career pathways. Each year, Massachusetts selects one or more schools or districts to honor at the state level; those honorees are then elevated to the U.S. Department of Education where they will have the opportunity to be honored as a national Green Ribbon School/District.

The 2024 Green Ribbon Schools application is now open for the 2023-24 school year! Applications are due December 22, 2023.

Please visit the MA Green Ribbon website for more information and to view previous winners.
Questions? Please reach out to Nicole Scola [nicole...@mass.gov].

Thank you,

Phoebe Beierle