Fwd: Urgent: Manchin bill puts right whales in danger

1 view

Holly Hannaway

Jun 12, 2023, 5:45:50 PM6/12/23
to mass...@googlegroups.com

You can help: Call your member of Congress now.

Urgent action needed –

Senator Joe Manchin just introduced a bill in Congress that could put the world’s remaining North Atlantic right whales in grave danger. Can you take a moment to call your members of Congress now to stop this bill in its tracks?

This bill would circumvent draft regulations that help boats and ships avoid fatal collisions with right whales – which thousands of people like you gave input on. These regulations, now being finalized by the National  Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), are critical because the North Atlantic right whale is so endangered. There are fewer than 350 left on Earth.

Joe Manchin’s bill would undermine these critical regulations and weaken protections the right whale desperately needs to survive as a species.
You can use these talking points when calling your Representative and Senator in Congress:

  • Please do everything in your power to stop Senator Manchin’s bill, the Protecting Whales, Human Safety, and the Economy Act of 2023.
  • NOAA is in the final stages of releasing strong regulations needed to protect North Atlantic right whales from extinction. This bill would toss those carefully crafted regulations aside and silence thousands of voices who have said they support these new restrictions in favor of protecting special interests.
  • This bill also dangerously undermines agency independence and is a major overstep of Congressional power. We must respect the regulatory process NOAA has undertaken, because their process will prioritize what is best for right whales and our ocean economy.
  • Please vote NO and do everything in your power to stop the so-called “Protecting Whales, Human Safety, and the Economy Act of 2023.”

There are fewer than 350 right whales left on the planet – a number that continues to decline. Unfortunately, collisions with boats and ships cause almost half of all right whale deaths. These tragedies are preventable – and your voice can make a major difference in right whales’ fight for survival.

We need to act quickly because right whales can’t wait – and because we won’t let Senator Manchin undermine this important legal process just to protect his own special interests.

Thank you for everything you do for our ocean and for our environment. We need you on our side now more than ever.

Gratefully,

Erica Fuller
Senior Attorney
CLF Ocean Team

CLF is a member-supported nonprofit organization that protects our environment for a thriving New England. We use the law, science, and the market to create solutions that preserve our natural resources, build healthy communities, and sustain a vibrant economy.

Facebook LinkedIn Twitter

Trouble viewing this email? View online

62 SUMMER STREET, BOSTON MA 02110
E-I...@CLF.ORG
617.350.0990

DONATE   l   WEBSITE   l   PRIVACY   l   UNSUBSCRIBE

Charity Navigator: Four Star Charity

supporter

--
Holly Hannaway (She/Her)