Mourning Cloaks - Marion MA 4/8/21

Andrew Griffith

Apr 8, 2021, 5:20:28 PM4/8/21
to MassLep
I wasn't able to get any photos of two mourning cloaks flying around in Marion today but was happy to see them.   Also spotted what I am pretty sure was an elfin that just never settled down and eventually flew off into the woods.

I did happen to come across a cool looking snake that let me get some photos.  Being where it is, I am guessing it is a water snake of some sort.  Happy to see that too, although it was not nearly as happy to see me.  :)  Photos here:

Madison, Stafford

Apr 8, 2021, 5:42:47 PM4/8/21
to andre...@comcast.net, MassLep

That good-looker is an eastern milk snake – one of the better “basking” days we’ve had this year.  Great photo!

Bo_Z

Apr 8, 2021, 5:48:57 PM4/8/21
to MassLep
Most definitely a nice picture of a Northern Water Snake, not a Milk Snake.

Andrew Griffith

Apr 8, 2021, 6:00:25 PM4/8/21
to MassLep
Both are quite similar, but this one having more bands around it's body rather than spots, made me think more of water snake.  I saw one in this area last year as well, although that one was MUCH bigger and darker than this one.

rmo...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2021, 8:17:34 PM4/8/21
to MassLep
This is a Northern Watersnake. They're really variable in color, though the young ones are especially strikingly colored. An Eastern Milksnake has smooth scales, without the line or "keel" down the center, and it has a lot of patterning on the head. Lovely picture, and I'm always happy to see snakes sneak onto masslep :)

Madison, Stafford

Apr 9, 2021, 4:26:36 PM4/9/21
to rmo...@gmail.com, MassLep

Thanks for explaining the difference between the 2 in greater detail; my enthusiasm for (vicariously) seeing my first snake of the year got the better my observational skills 😊