7/16 - Westborough - Massachusetts Butterfly Club

Barbara Volkle

Jul 13, 2022, 4:37:33 PM7/13/22
to MassLep

Join us for the Massachusetts Butterfly Club trip this Saturday!

SATURDAY July 16   10 am

Westborough Wildlife Management Area, Crane Swamp Trail, Westborough

This property, managed by the Mass Division of Fisheries and Wildlife, offers a combination of open fields, wooded sections and wet swampy areas. Target species include Northern Pearly-eye, Appalachian Brown, and Mulberry Wing. Insect repellent is recommended. Meet at Tatnuck Bookseller, Westborough.  Contact leader Barbara Volkle at bar...@theworld.com

Photo of Monarch, courtesy of Rosemary Mosco.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA

rosemarymonarch.jpg

Barbara Volkle

Aug 12, 2022, 8:08:05 PM8/12/22
to MassLep
Join us for the Massachusetts Butterfly Club trip this Sunday!

Sunday, August 14   8 am – Noon

Muddy Brook WMA, Hardwick

This restored oak-pine barrens boasts an exciting diversity of plants, birds, and invertebrates. While the presence of its bird species has been well-documented—we should see Eastern Towhee, Prairie Warbler, Norther Flicker, and much more—the butterflies here haven’t been full explored. Let’s see what we can find!   There is plenty of shrubby and grassland edge habitat, and Muddy Brook and several shallow ponds provide wetland habitat. Plan to take precautions to discourage ticks. Bring snacks/lunch/beverages if you wish.   No restrooms.   Contact the leader Wendy Howes at curiou...@verizon.net.

rosemarymonarch.jpg