AP article on moving endangered species in response to climate change

Nancy E. Burke

Jan 18, 2023, 10:05:25 AM1/18/23
to MassLep

I’m curious about how our members view this article that appeared on the AP wire service yesterday and the Globe today:  https://apnews.com/article/science-environmental-conservation-guam-climate-and-environment-lizards-1b4e2790b0f341bebd73fa431c1eefaa

In particular, there is mention of the endangered Karner Blue butterfly, whose larva only feeds on lupinus perennis (wild lupine), in a project in upstate NY.  Wild lupines are a fire ecology associated species, growing in pine barrens periodically cleared by fire.  An example of such a habitat is the SVT Women’s Forest property, on the Marlboro/Sudbury MA line.  (This is a property where an Eversource underground powerline project and a rail trail above it is being constructed on an old rail line – I worked with SVT to collect lupine seeds and germinate them on areas of the property away from the construction site, where most the lupine colonies were.)

Climate change is seen to be the motivating factor on the mentioned relocations in the article, but I’m not sure how relevant it is to the Karner Blue.  My understanding is that there are two major factors – one is that fire ecology habitat itself is being managed out of existence (FYI—the SVT property IS being managed with fire), but that the other one is that lupinus perennis is being replaced in so many places by the invading lupinus polyphyllus from the West (introduced into Maine by gardeners).  I believe the latter is likely more of a threat to the Karner Blue.

Anyway – just curious about others’ reactions to this article, since relocating species is rather controversial.  I guess it all boils down to what they mean by “relocating” species.

Nan Burke

Westborough, MA