red-banded hairstreak Tufts U

dorian...@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2022, 12:56:12 PM8/13/22
to MassLep
This morning we spotted the following butterflies in the Tufts University pollinator gardens at this location:

1 red-banded hairstreak (first for campus, unusual in city?)
1 peck's skipper
1 monarch
2 cabbage white

Michael Newton

Aug 13, 2022, 2:06:16 PM8/13/22
to dorian...@gmail.com, MassLep
Hi (Nick?)

Nice find.

I’ve seen Red Banded Hairstreak several times at Arnold Arboretum in the past 3 years, and once at Middlesex Fells, and once at Lafayette Square in Cambridge, so that location in between seems fine.

They apparently don’t seem to mind the more urban environments … though I’m only basing this off of what I’ve seen these last few years that they’ve been more common in MA.

—Michael

On Aug 13, 2022, at 12:56 PM, dorian...@gmail.com <dorian...@gmail.com> wrote:

This morning we spotted the following butterflies in the Tufts University pollinator gardens at this location:

Cloutier

Aug 13, 2022, 2:24:11 PM8/13/22
to new...@gmail.com, dorian...@gmail.com, MassLep

Hi All,

I think the important thing Red Banded needs is leaf litter left on the ground. That is what they need to eat as caterpillars and the Chrysalids and fourth-stage caterpillars hibernate over winter in those same decaying leaves.

Sue Cloutier

New Salem

On Aug 13, 2022, at 12:56 PM, dorian...@gmail.com <dorian...@gmail.com> wrote:</dorian...@gmail.com>

This morning we spotted the following butterflies in the Tufts University pollinator gardens at this location (https://goo.gl/maps/BRLpM5BRac2vnyBg8): 1 red-banded hairstreak (first for campus, unusual in city?)1 peck's skipper1 monarch2 cabbage white

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/masslep/cc54c741-40f0-4814-a304-9fb54f78f763n%40googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/masslep/64EC0DA5-5423-4B4C-948D-238877E0E20B%40gmail.com.