Fall Meeting Nov. 13 - Save the Date

Martha Gach

Oct 3, 2021, 1:27:49 PM10/3/21
to mas...@googlegroups.com

Dear Mass Leppers,

I’m so pleased to announce that we have a date for the virtual Fall Meeting of the Massachusetts Butterfly Club!

November 13, 2021 at 6:30 pm EST

More to come, but you can register now for the meeting link and get it on your calendar.

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

Thanks to Dave Small for hosting the Zoom and coordinating the annual member slide show. (You can share slides by sending up to 10 pics/slides to Da...@atholbirdclub.org)

(If the link above doesn’t work for you, copy and paste the URL below to register)

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMkdeCqrjIpGdWwtf-5ly08XI6xHEnwL2t4

Martha Gach

President, Massachusetts Butterfly Club

MA_Standard-Tagline-Oceanside

Find us on Facebook:  Mass Audubon Broad Meadow Brook

www.massaudubon.org

Barbara Volkle

Nov 11, 2021, 1:13:50 PM11/11/21
to mas...@googlegroups.com

Just a reminder, our fall meeting is this Saturday,

November 13, 2021 at 6:30 pm EST.

You can register now for the meeting link.   You must register in order to receive the meeting link. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.  Members will be contacted as well via email.  Guests may contact Barbara Volkle at bar...@massbutterflies.org for the registration link.

Our guest speaker will be James Michielini, who will present CHANGING WITH THE CLIMATE: HOW BUTTERFLIES RESPOND TO THE WARMING WORLD.

From our speaker:  There are innumerable predictions attempting to describe how ecosystems might change under projected climate scenarios. To be accurate, these predictions require an intimate understanding of the mechanisms regulating species' responses to a changing climate. My research focuses on changes in butterfly populations and the mechanisms driving those trends. I began by investigating the degree to which changes in seasonality related to abundance trends in butterfly species across Massachusetts. We found that species which elongated their flight activity within the year increased in abundance relative to species which showed no changes in their seasonal timing. This disparity in population trends was most pronounced among species with different geographic ranges, suggesting that species from the south may be shifting their range northwards. I am currently studying a likely range expander, the Pipevine swallowtail, to uncover the mechanisms that may facilitate such range shifts under climate change. Better understanding these mechanisms will hopefully allow us to not only forecast changes in butterfly populations in the future, but also develop conservation strategies that will mitigate the negative effects of climate change.

We’ll finish the evening off with a celebration of butterfly PHOTOS taken by club members. Show up to 20 slides or digital photos that represent highlights from the field in during 2021.  If you wish to show your slides, contact Dave Small at da...@atholbirdclub.org .

James Michielini is a graduate student in Dr. Elizabeth Crone's Lab in the Department of Biology at Tufts University. He graduated from Tufts in 2019 and completed an undergraduate thesis studying the relationship between phenology and relative abundance in Massachusetts Butterflies. He continued working on his thesis work at Tufts where he began as a graduate student last year. He currently studies the potential effects of climate change on the range distribution and population dynamics of the Pipevine Swallowtail Battus philenor.

Thanks to Dave Small for hosting the Zoom and coordinating the annual member slide show. (You can share slides by sending up to 10 pics/slides to Da...@atholbirdclub.org)

Guests welcome!

* * *

(If the link above doesn’t work for you, copy and paste the URL below to register)

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMkdeCqrjIpGdWwtf-5ly08XI6xHEnwL2t4

 * * *

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA