Oct Spicebush Swallowtail cat ...

donald adams

Nov 3, 2021, 9:22:29 PM11/3/21
to MassLep, Melanie Kenney, Ulrich Lorimer

… at ‘Garden In The Woods’ (Native Plant Trust) Framingham.

As folks on this list already know, I’ve been fascinated by this butterfly since its’ Oct 1  reporting for the ‘derby’ was the latest in my lifetime experience. Still it had a long way to go to pupation and continued to be kept outside with only a sleeve to protect from predation. During this period it endured at least two nights of very cold temps which I was certain would cause difficulties. However, today Melanie Kenney has reported that on 22 Oct this cat went pre-pupal (Pic), and on 25 Oct completed pupation to chrysalis. Now, having reached this stage, it should be able to deal with our typical, or worse, New England weather!!

Don Adams

2021_SpbshSwt_GIW_Prepupal_22Oct.JPG