20 June, Hampshire County butterflies

billb55

Jun 22, 2022, 8:34:26 PM6/22/22
to mas...@googlegroups.com
Seen while out hiking:

E. Tiger Swallowtail 1
Cabbage White 4
Clouded Sulphur  1
Banded Hairstreak  8  really surprised to see these - seems early
E. Comma  1
Hoary Edge  7  great to see

Bill Benner

Josh

Jun 24, 2022, 10:32:29 AM6/24/22
to MassLep
Saw two (or more) apparent Banded Hairstreaks out my window yesterday too. Our backyard borders Amethyst Brook Conservation Area in Amherst. I couldn’t get the critters in my binoculars, but they engaged in the whirling midair dogfights that I’ve always associated with this species. One landed on a sumac leaf and attempted to bask, though it was mostly cloudy yesterday.

Looking back at my notes of past years, this doesn’t seem outrageously early. Some years I haven’t seen one until July, but in others they’ve shown up in June, usually in numbers. I had one exactly two years ago yesterday, June 23 2020, and noted in my MassLep post about this that at least two other people had their FOS of the species that same day. I noted a sudden mass appearance of them on 6-27-2013, with aerial dogfights involving 6 or 7 individuals at a time. My first-ever sighting of Banded HS in our yard was also my earliest seasonally: at least 4 of them dogfighting on June 19 2012.

Cheers,

Josh