New Salem: Brown Elfins, Spring Azures, and Mourning Cloaks

clou...@tiac.net

Apr 14, 2021, 6:02:00 PM4/14/21
to Mas...@googlegroups.com

Elise & Karl Barry, and I saw more than 15 Brown Elfins and 3 Spring Azures (2 marginata and one lucia) inside Gate 22 of Quabbin Reservation and three Mourning Cloaks on S. Main St. on on this beautiful spring day.

Also many green tiger beetles doing their trick of flying off before I had a good look. Heard grouse drumming and many insects were taking advantage of the warmth of the sun.

Sue Cloutier

New Salem

4/14/21

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail

Josh

Apr 14, 2021, 6:12:01 PM4/14/21
to Mas...@googlegroups.com
Wow, I clearly was at the wrong gate! I spent an hour (exercising) at Gate 8 near Belchertown around noon, and had only one Pine Elfin and one Azure. No grouse drumming either, just a Red-shouldered Hawk calling and a few Brown Creepers singing.

JSR