Winter moths

Thomas Dodd

Dec 3, 2022, 7:26:52 AM12/3/22
to mas...@googlegroups.com
In response to Don Adams comment on winter moths, I was at the Upton State forest on Nov 27 and saw 8 winter moths floating on the surface of a small pool created by beavers. I found that there were at least 2 that were alive. I saw a map online that said they can hybridize with Bruce spanworm and it seems I'm in the hybrid zone. So, I don't know which one of the three this is. See attachments.

Tom Dodd
Upton
IMG_20221127_083800334_BURST011~2.jpg
Screenshot_20221203-072305.png
Screenshot_20221203-072200.png

Jeremy Coleman

Dec 3, 2022, 8:36:19 AM12/3/22
to tjdo...@gmail.com, mas...@googlegroups.com
You can't differentiate the species or the intergrades from a photo :(.

Jeremy Coleman

donald adams

Dec 3, 2022, 1:46:48 PM12/3/22
to jcolem...@gmail.com, tjdo...@gmail.com, mas...@googlegroups.com

Jeremy et al;

I am aware of these points being made and Jeremy is correct. Thus, the moth I reported seeing may indeed have been O. bruceata (the native Winter moth or intergrade). So I should have reported - total  Winter moths (all species or intergrades) seen here so far – ONE.

Don Adams