Couple of small issues on the Lowell Line

Crispin Olson

Feb 12, 2021, 11:53:17 AMFeb 12
to MBTA Developers
Couple of issues I've noted on the Lowell Line - firstly, trains in transit to or from Lowell Station (after or before North Billerica) always have "null" and "unknown" as the destination.

Secondly, the 4pm service from North Station and its return, never seem to show. I've seen this to be true even if I look at the MBTA site. I know the service is running because it passes my house!

Developer at MBTA

Feb 24, 2021, 3:08:47 PMFeb 24
to MBTA Developers
Hello, and thanks for reporting these!

> trains in transit to or from Lowell Station (after or before North Billerica) always have "null" and "unknown" as the destination

Could you clarify where exactly you're seeing this? For example, if you're using the V3 API, which resource/attribute. We checked trip 1307 today on its way from North Billerica to Lowell, and didn't see anything unusual in either the predictions or vehicle data.

> the 4pm service from North Station and its return, never seem to show

This is likely due to a faulty tracking unit in the train that runs this trip. Unfortunately, the current tracking system for the Commuter Rail is no longer supported and in the process of being replaced, so we can't provide an estimate of when this will be fixed. In general, for Commuter Rail (and bus), we recommend falling back on schedules when real-time data is not available, since tracking issues occasionally happen during normal operations.

—Developer@MBTA