including relationships in Shape data not working?

Brian Runck

Dec 29, 2023, 11:36:21 PM12/29/23
to MBTA Developers
It seems to me that I was able to use "include=route" in the query string when doing a GET on the Shapes endpoint, but when I do this now there is no relationships node returned.

Developer at MBTA

Jan 4, 2024, 4:04:40 PMJan 4
to MBTA Developers
Hi Brian, thanks for reaching out.

This is something we removed from the V3 API on 2020-05-01. In that update, we made a few modifications to our API, specifically:
  • `name`, `direction_id`, and `priority` were removed from attributes
  • `route` and `stops` were removed from relationships
You can find this information in our changelog

As a result of this update, when you use the "include=route" query in your API call, you will no longer receive a relationships node in the response, as was previously the case. The use cases covered by these fields should be accommodated by /route_patterns endpoint in the V3 API, which provides comprehensive route and stop data.

We understand that changes like these can require adjustments in how the API is used, and we are here to help! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

All the best,
Developer@MBTA

Brian Runck

Jan 31, 2024, 11:39:01 PMJan 31
to MBTA Developers
I'm having trouble understanding how route patterns gets to shapes of the various routes. Is there more informatin about how the shapes can be obtained that way?