New Orange/Red Line Train Announcements

Michael G

Mar 23, 2021, 10:01:31 AM3/23/21
to MBTA Developers
Hello!

I am doing a small project, which needs the raw audio announcements from the Automatic Announcement and Sign Control System (AASCS) in the new Red and Orange Line trains. Does anybody know where to find them? I have tried looking everywhere, including GitHub Repositories, but I have not been able to find anything.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

- Michael G.

Eric MacLean

Mar 23, 2021, 11:33:12 AM3/23/21
to massdotd...@googlegroups.com
If your specifically looking for the announcements from the new red and orange cars, I reccomend YouTube vids, or just sticking a mic into the speaker.

There’s plenty of videos that display all of the announcements.  If you download them as MP3 files, and trim them individually, you should have all of the announcements set to go.

Michael G

Mar 23, 2021, 1:53:02 PM3/23/21
to MBTA Developers
That's the thing. You can only achieve so much by sticking a mic near the speaker or getting it from YouTube. The ventilation systems are loud, especially on the new trains, combined with loud track noises and screeching curves, makes it almost impossible to have a clean sound just by doing noise reduction.

Developer at MBTA

Apr 2, 2021, 10:30:17 AM4/2/21
to MBTA Developers
Hi Michael,

The audio for on-vehicle announcements is not currently available in an open repository, but we should be able to pass your request to the appropriate team. Could you provide a bit more context on what you're looking to use the audio for?

Thanks,
—Developer@MBTA

Michael G

Apr 2, 2021, 10:21:12 PM4/2/21
to MBTA Developers
Hello.

I will be using the audio files for a project I'm developing to help people navigate the MBTA better. The announcements will be used in a non-commercial way, and the project will be free for everyone.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Michael G.

Developer

Apr 12, 2021, 10:25:09 AM4/12/21
to MBTA Developers

We will put you in touch with someone who might be able to help with this. Look for a connection email shortly.​