[MASSBIRD] Brookline Bird Club Virtual Winter Members Meeting

Leslie Kramer

Jan 19, 2023, 4:32:07 PM1/19/23
to MASSBIRD
Please join us for our Winter Members Meeting, Wednesday, February 8, 2023 7:00 – 9:00 PM. Our guest speaker will be Dr. Shaibal Mitra, who will discuss:
Avian Vagrancy: The Sport and the Science of Rare Bird Records.

Vagrant birds — individuals occurring far beyond the expected geographical limits of their taxa — have fascinated  people for centuries. Long dismissed as the stuff of mere  sport and as biologically

meaningless accidents, these records are  emerging as a valuable dataset. Listen as  Dr. Mitra presents this as a more rational  approach to conservation.

Dr. Shai Mitra has studied birds in the  northeastern United States and around the  world for more than 40 years. He is Assistant  Professor of Biology at the College of Staten  Island, Editor of The Kingbird (publication of  the New York State Ornithological Association);  co-compiler of bird records for the New York  City and Long Island region; Chair of the  Rhode Island Avian Records Committee; and  co-compiler of the Southern Nassau County  and Napatree, Rhode Island, CBCs.

Register for a link to the Zoom Webinar at www.brooklinebirdclub.org

Leslie Kramer
BBC President