[MASSBIRD] Fox Sparrow in Newton

Barbara Volkle

Jan 19, 2023, 6:49:59 PM1/19/23
to massbird
Thanks to Paul Peterson for this report.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
bar...@theworld.com

*

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 23:24:44 +0000 (UTC)
From: Paul Peterson <peterso...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Fox Sparrow in Newton

I finished birding at Kennard Park in Newton and decided to cross over
Dudley Rd. at the gate with the chain across it. Immediately on the
other side is a brushy path out to Newton North High School. I decided
to follow it. About three-fourths of the way down this rather short, but
wild path, I decided to start pishing because this looked like the kind
of habitat to find Fox Sparrows. Immediately, the loud smacking call of
the bird ensued, followed by it appearing in a shrub in front of me.
What a beautiful bird! Due to the overcast sky, the colors looked so
vivid. Five Northern Cardinals flew onto the bush with the Fox Sparrow,
four males and a female! Nice! Perfect timing too, because ten minutes
later, it started sleeting.

Hammond Pond in Newton:

Great Blue Heron 1
Ring-necked Duck 23