Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 01:59:48 +0000
From: rep...@hawkcount.org
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (09 Sep 2022) 55 Migrating Raptors

Merlin 4 8 10
Peregrine Falcon 0 6 7
Unknown Accipiter 1 3 4
Unknown Buteo 0 3 6
Unknown Falcon 0 2 2
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 4 9 11

Total: 55 237 293

Observation start time: 08:15:00 Observation end time: 15:00:00 Total
observation time: 6.75 hours

Official Counter: Eric Mueller

Observers: Colleen Tank, Dave Brown, Jack Miano, JoAnne Hart,
Katie Durham, Matt Bollus, Megan Gately, Rod Chase,
Steve Farrell, Susan Moses

Visitors:
Observers - a nice turnout of new and familiar faces, including the first
visits up this year by Colleen Tank, Susan Moses and Matt Bollus - glad to
have all of your eagle eyes back on the platform! In addition to those
listed in the hourly reports, we had help from John Edwardson, Greg Cravedi
and Aline Rober.

Probably another 50-75 visitors to the summit, including FOW (Friends of
the Watch) Frannie, Carl and Peggie, as well as Megan's brother Patrick.

Weather:
Similar to yesterday with clear blue skies for the most part, temps in the
high 60's and low 70's, and light wind from the NE. We did get some
helpful cumulus clouds on the west, north and east horizons, but nothing
overhead so locating the higher flying birds was a challenge. There was a
bit of haze to start the day, and it increased later in the afternoon to
make the most distant landmarks (Pawtuckaway Mts, VT Mts, Mt Greylock) fade
out.

Raptor Observations:
The day started slowly again even though we had no early fog. The birds
finally started coming through around 10:15 am EST. It was an average day
for this date with 55 migrants representing 10 identified species - a nice
mix. It was interesting to see what appeared to be a non-migrating
Northern Harrier again late in the session - that mirrors what Chris
reported yesterday.

Non-migrating raptors:
TV - 6 (minimum number)
BE - 2 (Ad & Imm)
RT - 2 (Ad & Imm - minimum number))
BW - 4 (at least 1 Ad)
NH - 1 (see comment above)

Non-raptor Observations:
Non-raptors:
R-E Vireo - 1
Blue Jay - 1
E Towhee - 1
B-C Chickadee - 3
Chimney Swift - 3
Comm Raven - 3 (minimum number)
R-T Hummingbird - 2 (flying together over the summit, appeared to be
migrating)
D-C Cormorant - 50 (minimum number, all in the same flight)

We also spotted a Porcupine walking and eating at the side of the road just
below the summit.

Predictions:
Yet another day of sunny skies (sigh), with higher temperatures (low 80's)
and gentle winds (4-5 mph) starting from the NW and gradually moving over
to the W. Smoke from the fires in the western US is due to arrive and will
add to the haze.

Clarry Hill (ME) had 56 birds today, so not much in the pipeline. Mt.
Putney (VT) had another big day with over 650 Broad-wings which makes me a
bit concerned about the direction of the migration from Canada.
Report submitted by ERIC MUELLER (ericmue...@gmail.com)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org:
https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228
回覆所有人