[MASSBIRD] Quiet day at Parker River

Matt S.

Jan 16, 2023, 9:36:24 PM1/16/23
to Mass...@theworld.com
January 16, 2023 Parker River NWR
With the minor winter storm, I thought something interesting may have blown into Parker River so I headed up there.  The seas were as rough as I have ever seen, and rather than dissipate as the day went on, the storm actually got gnarlier.  Activity was relatively muted across the refuge, and even in Plum Island Sound where I figured some seabirds may take refuge, the numbers were small.  Oceanside I saw a ring-billed gull and a white-winged scoter who was clearly in a hurry to depart for calmer climes.   That was lot 1, and every other ocean overlook was empty.  At Hellcat I unexpectedly turned up two swamp sparrows at the end of the marsh spur trail.  There were tons of harriers, including a gray ghost…there may have been a snowy, but with low visibility and fresh snow there was no way I was going to spot it.  Bill Forward area had a quartet of red-breasted nuthatches that eBird flagged for some reason, and on the way out a barred owl was seen, #200 for me at Parker River.   This was a fun trip; I had low expectations as the storm did not clear and the sea was murderous, but it was different conditions than I have ever seen Parker in before, so that was enjoyable.
https://ebird.org/massaudubon/checklist/S126302195

Matt s.
Newton, MA
-----------------
Parker River NWR, Essex, Massachusetts, US
Jan 16, 2023 9:56 AM - 1:12 PM
Protocol: Traveling
16.49 mile(s)
27 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  X
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  8
American Black Duck (Anas rubripes)  39
Harlequin Duck (Histrionicus histrionicus)  2
White-winged Scoter (Melanitta deglandi)  1
Long-tailed Duck (Clangula hyemalis)  2
Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola)  1
Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula)  10
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) (Columba livia (Feral Pigeon))  48
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  2
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)  7
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)  3
Northern Harrier (Circus hudsonius)  5
Barred Owl (Strix varia)  1
Merlin (Falco columbarius)  1     Bill forward. Pics
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  2
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  5
Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis)  4     Bill forward, together. Pics
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  4
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  10
Purple Finch (Haemorhous purpureus)  2     Hellcat, one male one female, clearly seen at edge of trail
American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides arborea)  4
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)  4
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  6
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  2
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana)  2
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  4

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S126302195