[MASSBIRD] Pinnacle Rock (28 Oct 2023) 3 Raptors

Barbara M Volkle

Oct 28, 2023, 8:29:17 PM10/28/23

Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 23:54:24 +0000
From: rep...@hawkcount.org
Subject: Pinnacle Rock (28 Oct 2023) 3 Raptors

Merlin 0 3 6
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 1
Unknown Accipiter 0 1 2
Unknown Buteo 0 0 2
Unknown Falcon 0 1 4
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 3 15

Total: 3 69 185

Observation start time: 11:30:00 Observation end time: 16:00:00 Total
observation time: 4.5 hours

Official Counter: Craig Jackson

Observers:
Visitors:
Lots of hikers, but Paul Weston was the only person who expressed great
interest

Weather:
Unseasonably warm today with mostly west winds. Winds were light (2)
from
the West and only shifted to WNW in the last hour of the watch. (Maximum
gusts were 8 mph). Cloud cover went from 0-35% as cumulus clouds
gradually
moved in from the west. Temperature as stated was unseasonably warm,
21-23°C (close to 80°F)

Raptor Observations:
I had hoped tha the winds would shift earlier, but they didn't so the
flight was very small. One compensation was that an immature
Red-shouldered Hawk flew right toward me and passed over the Rock only
about 20 feet above my head!
Non-migrating -- One Red-tail and one CH

Non-raptor Observations:

Predictions:
The winds will shift to NW tonight but by tomorrow morning again be from
the north prior to a predicted rain. Don't expect any movement. Next day
with favorable NW winds will be Tuesday after two days of predicted
rain. I'm hoping for some movement before another day of predicted rain
on
Wednesday.
Report submitted by Craig Jackson (crlej...@gmail.com)

More site information at hawkcount.org: