Data from Culture 24 / 24hr Museum for Museum mashup day

Mike

May 29, 2008, 6:04:53 AM5/29/08
to Mashed Museum
Hi all

Those of you who came along to the MM event last year in Leicester
will remember that we had access to some 24hr Museum data but that
there were some issues around exposing this to the world. In
particular, I had to stop short at displaying their museum data on
Google Earth as part of the museum directory I did (http://
www.mashedmuseum.org.uk/mm/museumdirectory/v3/index.asp) because that
would have meant exposing a KML file which anyone could download.

Anyway...

Jane Finnis has come back to me with a clarification about what
they'll provide us this year and the conditions attached. Copy of her
email below.

If you're coming along to the mashed museum day then I'll provide you
with this data, but please bear in mind the conditions laid out below.

Cheers

Mike

-------------

Mike,

In answer to you question and to give you a clear statement about what
we are wiling to give you and what you can do with it.

We will give you:
- A csv file of institution information (about 4,000 now)
- A cvs file of events in our system (varies each day but usually
about 1,000)
- use of any of our current RSS feeds of news or event details (live
and changing)

My colleague Ruth will send these to you next week so that the event
info is still current. I think you already have the location of the
RSS feeds but if not, please ask Jon.

I am happy for this info to be used in any of the demo projects that
are built during the mashed up museum day that is part of the
Leicester conference and any expose to the public that may come from
that on the understanding that:
- you don't pass the actual csv files onto anyone else
- somewhere on any of the stuff that is built it says that the data is
supplied from Culture24 with a link to our URL www.culture24,org.uk
(and a logo if you like)

Sound okay?

Jane

Frankie Roberto

May 29, 2008, 6:16:14 AM5/29/08
to Mashed Museum
The "don't pass the actual csv files onto anyone else" line doesn't
quite make sense. If a mashup transforms the CSV file into an xml
file, is that okay to distribute?

On 29 May, 11:04, Mike <mike.el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Those of you who came along to the MM event last year in Leicester
> will remember that we had access to some 24hr Museum data but that
> there were some issues around exposing this to the world. In
> particular, I had to stop short at displaying their museum data on
> Google Earth as part of the museum directory I did (http://www.mashedmuseum.org.uk/mm/museumdirectory/v3/index.asp) because that

Ridge, Mia

May 29, 2008, 6:51:32 AM5/29/08
to mashed...@googlegroups.com
Interesting discussion. I've tried to get a feed from here, but run into some institutional issues. I guess there's still some anxiety about letting go, and about retaining 'ownership' or branding. I think they can be resolved, but it might be worth considering how we can use and document the experience to make it easier for future projects.

cheers, Mia

Dan Zambonini

May 29, 2008, 7:46:30 AM5/29/08
to mashed...@googlegroups.com
Hmm... does that mean that my XML feed of their 4000 museums shouldn't really be public?

http://feeds.boxuk.com/museums/xmlfeed/record.type/museum

Mike Ellis

May 29, 2008, 9:30:32 AM5/29/08
to mashed...@googlegroups.com
I can't comment on either of these...

Let's just follow the guidelines for the data we're given :-)
--

mob: + 00 44 7810 487 423
web: electronicmuseum.org.uk
email: mike....@gmail.com