Things to think about...

dmje

Jun 15, 2007, 10:27:10 AM6/15/07
to Mashed Museum
Hi all...

I'm broadly thinking about this day / way of thinking in terms of
three main components: inputs, processors and outputs:

Inputs: sources of data or content which can be accessed
programmatically

Processors: scripts or "code portals" such as Yahoo Pipes or MS Popfly
which take these inputs and do something with them

Outputs: means by which the processed data is displayed. Obvious
examples include Google maps, MIT timeline, etc, but obviously outputs
can also be other feeds for further consumption such as RSS.

Below is a list of the kinds of stuff I think we should be considering
as a starting point OR just things that I have found useful. I'd love
to hear from you with more examples. Pass them around this groups,
email them to me or just bring them along on the day.

INPUTS
------------
- museum location data
- museum event data (as RSS or other formats)
- collections data feeds (see for example
http://www.ingenious.org.uk/xmlsearch.asp?searchstring=beatles)
- other RSS feeds (see for example
http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/about_us/about_the_museum/website/rss.aspx)
- flickr (http://www.flickr.com/services/api/)
- yahoo! API especially the content extraction service (http://
developer.yahoo.com/)
- the "programmable web" (http://www.programmableweb.com/) provides a
great source for APIs as well as examples of what people have built
with them
- Freebase (www.freebase.com)

PROCESSORS
-----------------------
- Yahoo Pipes (http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/)
- MS Popfly (http://www.popfly.com/ I don't yet have a sign-in for
this but if you do, bring it along!)
- Google mashup editor (http://editor.googlemashups.com/ - as above,
bring along your sign in if you have one..)
- Dapper (http://www.dapper.net/)

OUTPUTS
---------------
Too many to mention, but includes the obvious:
- Google maps / Google Earth (http://www.google.com/apis/maps/)
- MIT Simile timeline (http://simile.mit.edu/timeline/)
- Poly9 FreeEarth (http://freeearth.poly9.com/)

etc etc etc

For the mashup day I am preparing a data source for the objects on our
Ingenious website - in fact there are likely to be several ways of
getting this. You can read more about this here:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ah63ttjw8gjp_8hw75nz

(*Please* don't pass the url's for this around at this time - just for
this group for the time being!)

This doc will change over the next few days. If you have data sources
of museum data (events, galleries, objects etc), it will be very
useful so let me or the group know...!

Thanks, sorry if this is a bit rambling!

Mike

Jim O'Donnell

Jun 15, 2007, 11:44:51 AM6/15/07
to mashed...@googlegroups.com, Fiona Romeo
We have an experimental, and undocumented, set of JSON feeds including
one that allows external sites to use images from our collections
database.

We used it to build this gallery in our CMS:
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/nav.00500100000b001

The URL is
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/experiments/JSONRecordSearch.cfm?catego
ry=90515
Where the query string in the URL is basically any query string that can
be used to list objects on our collections web site
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/search/listResults.cfm?category=90505

It isn't documented, I'm afraid, but it would interesting to start
building stuff around feeds like this.

Jim

Jim O'Donnell
Senior Web Developer
National Maritime Museum
Park Row
Greenwich
London SE10 9NF

DDI: 020 8312 6517
Fax:
email: JOdo...@nmm.ac.uk
P please consider the environment - do you really need to print this
email?
We are listed on everyclick.com, the search engine that helps charity.
Please go to http://www.everyclick.com/uk/nationalmaritimemuseum and set
everyclick as your home page, so you can search the web and help
National Maritime Museum. It does not cost a penny, so it's a great way
to support us every day.

>This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
>For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email

Ridge, Mia

Jun 15, 2007, 12:24:56 PM6/15/07
to mashed...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

just a quick note with some inputs: we have an events feed at http://feeds.feedburner.com/MuseumOfLondonGroupUpcomingEvents

There's also an old XML data source at http://xxx.museumoflondon.org.uk/molsite/coll/feeds/ (ignore the OAI link, the static feed wasn't need for that stage of the project).

I'll see what other object feeds I can knock up or dig out if anyone thinks they might be useful.

There's also a feed from the LAARC Flickr account that's currently having photos added as they start a new community archaeology project: http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=13603911@N00&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

cheers, Mia

Mia Ridge
Database Developer, Museum Systems Team
Museum of London Group
46 Eagle Wharf Road
London. N1 7ED
Tel: 020 7410 2205
Fax: 020 7600 1058
Email: mri...@museumoflondon.org.uk
www.museumoflondon.org.uk
Museum of London is changing; our lower galleries will be closed while they undergo a major new development. Visit www.museumoflondon.org.uk to find out more.
London's Burning - explore how the Great Fire of London shaped the city we see today www.museumoflondon.org.uk/londonsburning

Jun 18, 2007, 10:39:15 AM6/18/07
to mashed...@googlegroups.com
Is anyone staying over on Thursday night? Just trying to organise
accomodation and wondered if anyone knew of a place to stay.

Cheers
Jim

Jim O'Donnell
Senior Web Developer
National Maritime Museum
Park Row
Greenwich
London SE10 9NF

DDI: 020 8312 6517
Fax:
email: JOdo...@nmm.ac.uk
P please consider the environment - do you really need to print this
email?
We are listed on everyclick.com, the search engine that helps charity.
Please go to http://www.everyclick.com/uk/nationalmaritimemuseum and set
everyclick as your home page, so you can search the web and help
National Maritime Museum. It does not cost a penny, so it's a great way
to support us every day.

Ridge, Mia

Jun 18, 2007, 11:04:38 AM6/18/07
to mashed...@googlegroups.com
I'm staying at the Spindle Lodge Hotel (www.spindlelodge.com) on Thursday night, but I think it's getting pretty full.

cheers, Mia

Mia Ridge
Database Developer, Museum Systems Team
Museum of London Group
46 Eagle Wharf Road
London. N1 7ED
Tel: 020 7410 2205
Fax: 020 7600 1058
Email: mri...@museumoflondon.org.uk
www.museumoflondon.org.uk
Museum of London is changing; our lower galleries will be closed while they undergo a major new development. Visit www.museumoflondon.org.uk to find out more.
London's Burning - explore how the Great Fire of London shaped the city we see today www.museumoflondon.org.uk/londonsburning

Mike

Jun 18, 2007, 2:56:07 PM6/18/07
to Mashed Museum
It is....I just rang them (organised as ever) and they're stuffed.
Probably with you lot :-)

I'll be the one in the tent on the University campus...

On Jun 18, 4:04 pm, "Ridge, Mia" <mri...@museumoflondon.org.uk> wrote:
> I'm staying at the Spindle Lodge Hotel (www.spindlelodge.com) on Thursday night, but I think it's getting pretty full.
>
> cheers, Mia
>

> Mia Ridge
> Database Developer, Museum Systems Team
> Museum of London Group
> 46 Eagle Wharf Road
> London. N1 7ED
> Tel: 020 7410 2205
> Fax: 020 7600 1058
> Email: mri...@museumoflondon.org.ukwww.museumoflondon.org.uk

> Museum of London is changing; our lower galleries will be closed while they undergo a major new development. Visitwww.museumoflondon.org.ukto find out more.

> London's Burning - explore how the Great Fire of London shaped the city we see todaywww.museumoflondon.org.uk/londonsburning

Ridge, Mia

Jun 18, 2007, 5:35:45 PM6/18/07
to mashed...@googlegroups.com
These are from the document Ross Parry sent to delegates for the UK Museums and the Web conference on Friday, it's probably a good place to start if you're having trouble finding somewhere.

cheers, Mia

From his email:
The University cannot make any recommendation about any of the hotels
listed, but please find attached a list that might be useful. Do
mention that you are attending an official University of Leicester
event, as some of these hotels offer concessionary rates to us.

Can I also take this opportunity to stress that as parking is restricted
to permit holders only on main campus, we encourage delegates to arrive
by public transport. The exception is orange badge holders who will be
able to park next to the Henry Wellcome building - our venue for the
day. There are, however, various (well-signed) pay-and-display car
parks within walking distance of the venue, and several larger
multi-storeys in the town centre.

From the document:

Best Western Belmont House Hotel

AA HOTEL