Fwd: [open-source-jam] 20 more places for the next OS Jam! Thurs 21st Feb 2008

Mia

Feb 19, 2008, 6:45:11 AM2/19/08
to Mashed Museum
I'm going to check this out and it might be of interest to some of
you.

cheers, Mia

Sign up quick at osjam.truemesh.com

This time, our topic of interest is *designing stuff that gets used by
people*.

So please, come along and talk for 5 mins about something close to
your heart. Here are some suggestions for topics we'd love to hear
about:

* Designing GUIs for usability.
* Accessibility.
* Mobiles and embedded devices.
* APIs, because developers are people too.
* Domain specific languages.
* Command shells.
* Web-apps, AJAX or not?

-- FAQ ---------------------

* What is it?

In a nutshell, it's a pretty informal evening, we ask developers who
have ideas or are already working on them to come and engage others to
collaborate and code for your open source project. In a way, it will
be like what goes on in the corridors, between sessions at a
conference, except without the sessions. So you get to tell others
about your idea and get new interested folks to work on your projects.

* Who is it for?

Anyone who wants to work on a fun project. You may have an idea and
need more help or are already working on an open source project and
want to work with others, or you'd like to get involved in a new open
source project and meet like minded developers. Or perhaps you've got
nothing better to be doing on a Thursday night than hanging around
with a flock of opensourcerers and hack.

* What will be there?

Other interesting people to code with. A space to hang around in.
Computers and wifi. Oh, and lots of delicious pizza.

* What will happen?

Some people may choose to present a 5 minute lightning talk on what
they're doing. Then little groups will form and people will work
together on code! We'll encourage contributing good things back to
open source projects, or maybe the launch of new projects.

* What shall I bring?

The only thing you really need to bring is yourself. If you have a
laptop you like to develop on, please bring that too.

* Why is it in the evening?

It's intentionally on a school-night as that allows many people to
attend who would struggle during the day because of their job
commitments.

* What kind of talk should I give?

Five mins lightning talk. If you want to bring slides or a demo,
please do, but don't feel you need to - talking and/or whiteboards is
just as good. Remember your audience are techy open source geeks. If
you feel like giving a talk (and we'd love you if you did), please let
us know.

-- Important Details ----------------

Important details :

* If you want to come, please RSVP by signing up here:
http://osjam.truemesh.com/

* We have a LIMITED number of spaces available. We'll be closing
reservations as soon as we hit that limit - sign up now!

* Please let us know if you've signed up but can no longer attend as
this will free up your space for someone else.

* If you know of someone else you think we should be inviting in the
please send them to the signup page! http://osjam.truemesh.com/

When : Thursday 21st of February 2008. 6pm - 9:30pm.
Where: Google, Belgrave House 76, Buckingham Palace Road,
Victoria, London SW1W 9TQ

See you then!

-Joe Walnes and Neil Dunn

http://osjam.truemesh.com/
http://groups.google.com/group/london-open-source-jam

Stephen Pope

Feb 19, 2008, 6:59:57 AM2/19/08
to mashed...@googlegroups.com
Looks great .. tragically these things are always a) in London (sigh) b) not something I could claim back from work :¬/