Come and have a drink with some cultural heritage geeks and meet Kirrily from Freebase - London, August 20

Mia Ridge

Aug 14, 2008, 6:30:29 PM8/14/08
to mashed...@googlegroups.com
Please excuse the cross-post, as I'm going to send this to the Museums Computer Group and Antiquist groups too, and also I'm lazily copying and pasting from my blog.

As she explains on the Freebase blog, Kirrily from Freebase will be in London for a little while this month and she'd having an informal meet up with Freebase users and those who might be interested to learn more about it:
We'll be meeting at the Yorkshire Grey Pub in Holborn from 6:30pm, having a few drinks, and talking about open data, building communities around free information, mashups, and more. If you're interested, please stop by. There'll be free wifi available, so bring your laptops if you've got them.
You can RSVP on upcoming.org. I'm going because I think Freebase could be really useful for a personal project but also because it's another way of helping people make the most of their digital heritage.

If you don't know much about Freebase, or haven't seen it lately, this video on Parallax, their new browsing interface should give you a pretty good idea of how useful it can be for cultural heritage and natural history data. It's 8 minutes long, and it's really worth taking the time to watch particularly for the maps and timelines, but if you're pressed for time then skip the first two minutes.

You can also get more background at The Future of the Web or Freebase: Dispelling The Skepticism. There are lots of possibilities for museums, archaeology and other cultural content so come along for a chat and a pint.

If you can't make it but have some questions or comments about Freebase and digital heritage that you think might be useful for discussion or need some context to explain, drop me a line and I'll take them along.

cheers, Mia

Ian Ibbotson

Aug 15, 2008, 6:27:16 AM8/15/08
to mashed...@googlegroups.com
Hiya Mia, hope you're well... Interesting things happening with the OAI/Relational Database Bridge.. must get a release out for people to play with....

Is this a pretty open invite to people on the fringe of the museums community? I happen to be in london on the 20th and was thinking of popping along if there's space?

Cheers,
Ian.

Mia Ridge

Aug 15, 2008, 12:13:39 PM8/15/08
to mashed...@googlegroups.com
It's a very open invite - I'm just taking the museum angle because that's what I'm particularly interested in.  The more the merrier!

cheers, Mia

Ian Ibbotson

Aug 15, 2008, 1:51:42 PM8/15/08
to mashed...@googlegroups.com