Mashup of Museums and Universities

Brian Kelly, UKOLN

Jun 26, 2007, 5:19:52 AM6/26/07
to Mashed Museum
UKOLN's annual Institutional Web Management Workshop (IWMW) will be
held at the University of York on 16-18 July. There will be about 190
participants from UK Universities.

This year we are introducing an Innovation Competition -see
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/web-focus/events/workshops/webmaster-2007/competition/

It occurs to me that it might be interesting to have a mashup which
combines data from the museum and university sectors e.g. a map
showing the location of museums near a University.

An example is available at:
http://northumbria.ac.uk/browse/radius5/
Even better would be if this took a live RSS feed from the nearby
museums.

Note we have various RSS feeds to play with:
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/web-focus/events/workshops/iwmw/

And a colleague has written a Yahoo Pipes application which she's
happy for others to build on:
http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info?_id=YOFRIk4j3BGm6bdRl7okhQ

Note as the event is at York University, museums near this might be of
interest. A possible opportunity to build on Mike's recent Google
Earth mashup, perhaps.

Any interest?

Brian Kelly
UKOLN

Stephen Pope

Jun 26, 2007, 9:14:38 AM6/26/07
to mashed...@googlegroups.com
First off it was great to meet you all at the event .. I had an excellent time and although i am a relative newbie to all this museum business it was good to realise so many of us are trying to do the same things ! Hopefully we can find a way to share information and progress as a united front :¬P

Now a few quick questions in response to Brian's email ..

@Brian: Is the delegate xml updated dynamically or is it a static file ?

@All: Is the list of museum locations that people consumed from the RSS feed from 24hr museum or is it better to grab the munged data from mike ? was the 24hr museum one fixed ?
Is there a list of university locations (RSS or otherwise) that i could grab if anyone knows of one ?

Also I found a good geocoding service to convert to/from masses of different formats (lat/long / British OS refs etc) if anyone is interested!

.. and if anyone knows of any museum feeds that have location data in it would be good to try it out one some of them !!

Stephen

Any interest?

Brian Kelly
UKOLN

Unless otherwise agreed expressly in writing by a senior manager of
Eduserv, this communication is to be treated as confidential and the
information in it may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose
for which it has been sent.
If you have reason to believe that you are not the intended recipient
of this communication, please contact the sender immediately.
No employee or agent is authorised to enter into any binding agreement
or contract on behalf of Eduserv or Eduserv Technologies Ltd., unless
that agreement is subsequently confirmed by the conclusion of a written
contract or the issue of a purchase order.
Eduserv (Limited by Guarantee) - company number 3763109 - and
Eduserv Technologies Ltd - company number - 4256630 - are both
companies incorporated in England and Wales and have their registered
offices at Queen Anne House, 11 Charlotte Street, Bath, BA1 2NE.

Roberto Frankie

Jun 26, 2007, 9:19:05 AM6/26/07
to mashed...@googlegroups.com

> .. and if anyone knows of any museum feeds that have location
> data in it would be good to try it out one some of them !!

I'm still having a play around with the site I started putting together,
looking at how different museum collections have been acquired from
different countries around the world, in different decades. So I'm
mapping databases of objects to iso country codes, but they'll all be
static data dumps rather than live feeds.

I'll try and get something up online to show within a few weeks.

Frankie

If you want to help inspire the next generation of scientists, creators and inventors back NMSI's transformational new project, Inspired. More than a museum, Inspired will be a hothouse of invention and innovation, making science serious fun for all.

It's your future: be Inspired

Visit www.voteinspired.org.uk or text 'SMS Inspired' to 88833 for more information.

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and are confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately, delete the message from your computer system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not reflect the views of the National Museum of Science & Industry. This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.

Ridge, Mia

Jun 27, 2007, 11:07:38 AM6/27/07
to mashed...@googlegroups.com

> Also I found a good geocoding service to convert to/from
> masses of different formats (lat/long / British OS refs etc)
> if anyone is interested!

Ooh, yes. I'd been blogging about that recently cos all the archaeological data uses NG references and most mapping APIs use lat/long and I'm nowhere near enough of a geogeek to know which projections to use.

> .. and if anyone knows of any museum feeds that have location
> data in it would be good to try it out one some of them !!

I'm not sure if the MoL event feeds at http://feeds.feedburner.com/MuseumOfLondonGroupUpcomingEvents have location data in them but if not, they probably should! Let us know what would be useful info for you.

cheers, Mia

Mia Ridge
Database Developer, Museum Systems Team
Museum of London Group
46 Eagle Wharf Road
London. N1 7ED
Tel: 020 7410 2205
Fax: 020 7600 1058
Email: mri...@museumoflondon.org.uk
www.museumoflondon.org.uk
Museum of London is changing; our lower galleries will be closed while they undergo a major new development. Visit www.museumoflondon.org.uk to find out more.
London’s Burning - explore how the Great Fire of London shaped the city we see today www.museumoflondon.org.uk/londonsburning

Mike

Jun 27, 2007, 11:12:27 AM6/27/07
to Mashed Museum
Would be good to hear about the geocoding. I also bookmarked this
recently: http://www.geonames.org/ - seems pretty useful, and has data
dump / webservice which will probably be of use.

If you haven't seen already (course you have - EVERYONE reads my
blog...ahem...) then I've written a brief "how I did it" for my museum
directory thingy here:

http://electronicmuseum.wordpress.com/experiments/museum-directory/

Frankie has helped me (hopefully) get to the bottom of the KML problem
(link at bottom of the app doesn't work but isn't a 404) - am just
waiting for my hosting company to add the MIME type and see if it
works then...

Cheers

Mike

On Jun 26, 2:14 pm, "Stephen Pope" <stephen.p...@eduserv.org.uk>
wrote:
> First off it was great to meet you all at the event .. I had an excellent time and although i am a relative newbie to all this museum business it was good to realise so many of us are trying to do the same things ! Hopefully we can find a way to share information and progress as a united front :?P

> Now a few quick questions in response to Brian's email ..
>
> @Brian: Is the delegate xml updated dynamically or is it a static file ?
>
> @All: Is the list of museum locations that people consumed from the RSS feed from 24hr museum or is it better to grab the munged data from mike ? was the 24hr museum one fixed ?
> Is there a list of university locations (RSS or otherwise) that i could grab if anyone knows of one ?
>
> Also I found a good geocoding service to convert to/from masses of different formats (lat/long / British OS refs etc) if anyone is interested!
>
> .. and if anyone knows of any museum feeds that have location data in it would be good to try it out one some of them !!
>
> Stephen

Mike

Jun 27, 2007, 11:13:29 AM6/27/07
to Mashed Museum
I forgot to add, I have a CSV from 24hr museum which *should* have
clean data in it. I'd better check with Jon about how much they want
it circulated. Will get back to you...

Mike

On Jun 27, 4:12 pm, Mike <mike.el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would be good to hear about the geocoding. I also bookmarked this

> recently:http://www.geonames.org/- seems pretty useful, and has data

Stephen Pope

Jun 28, 2007, 9:08:51 AM6/28/07
to mashed...@googlegroups.com
http://www.nearby.org.uk/api/convert-help.php .. this is the service I'm using .. its only available for lightweight usage but works very well (i just take the postcodes and convert them and save the lat / longs down so the hit on the server isn't very big !) covers lots of different formats .. i think this guy must be the king of the geogeeks :¬P

I've been in a geotag frenzy all day looking at the different formats / GeoRSS / opensearch geo tagging etc some interesting stuff and I'll try and post some info about it soon.

(also on an embarrassing note I made a comment to your blog that the guys @ the LAARC dig should geo-tag their flickr photos but looks like they already have (think I was looking at the few photos that didn't have them .. doh!)

cheers, Mia

Unless otherwise agreed expressly in writing by a senior manager of

Roberto Frankie

Jun 28, 2007, 9:16:42 AM6/28/07
to mashed...@googlegroups.com

As I understand it, the reason there's no proper free API to convert
post codes into lat/long is because the Post Office own the data and
only licence it commercially.

I've seen this project which aims to re-create a free version of the
database - http://www.freethepostcode.org/ - but seeing as the data can
only be collected by people manually entering lat/long co-ordinates
collected personally by GPS, so it'll probably take a while to get
exhaustive coverage!

Frankie

> __________
> This email has been scanned on behalf of NMSI for all viruses

Frankie Roberto

Jul 10, 2007, 4:58:05 AM7/10/07
to Mashed Museum

Google has now opened up a geo-coding API. See
http://googlemapsapi.blogspot.com/2007/07/uk-geocoding-now-available-in-maps-api.html

Via http://digitalurban.blogspot.com/2007/07/geocoding-for-uk-now-available.html

Frankie

On Jun 28, 2:08 pm, "Stephen Pope" <stephen.p...@eduserv.org.uk>
wrote:
> http://www.nearby.org.uk/api/convert-help.php.. this is the service I'm using .. its only available for lightweight usage but works very well (i just take the postcodes and convert them and save the lat / longs down so the hit on the server isn't very big !) covers lots of different formats .. i think this guy must be the king of the geogeeks :?P

> I've been in a geotag frenzy all day looking at the different formats / GeoRSS / opensearch geo tagging etc some interesting stuff and I'll try and post some info about it soon.
>
> (also on an embarrassing note I made a comment to your blog that the guys @ the LAARC dig should geo-tag their flickr photos but looks like they already have (think I was looking at the few photos that didn't have them .. doh!)

Stephen Pope

Jul 10, 2007, 5:10:04 AM7/10/07
to mashed...@googlegroups.com
Excellent ! Good spot ! :¬) Makes things ~much~ easier !