Unable to install Marzipano locally

Łukasz Kraus

Nov 22, 2023, 10:25:59 AM11/22/23
to marzipano
Dears,

I'd like to ask for help since I'm new in Node.js - my intention is to install Marzipano tool (standalone installation) locally as per the documentation:

However after completing step 1:

npm install marzipano

I attempt to step 2:

var Marzipano = require('./marzipano');

And get the error:

Uncaught Error: Cannot find module './marzipano'
Require stack:
- <repl>
    at Module._resolveFilename (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1048:15)
    at Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:901:27)
    at Module.require (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1115:19)
    at require (node:internal/modules/helpers:130:18) {
  code: 'MODULE_NOT_FOUND',
  requireStack: [ '<repl>' ]
}

I'd love to learn how these things are working. Is there anybody kind enough to help me to understand how I can setup the tool?

Thank you!

Stephen Sandison

Nov 22, 2023, 12:29:40 PM11/22/23
to marz...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lukasz,

I don't think that page is about installing the tool. It's about installing the marzipano library. It just says that the easiest way to use marzipano is to generate a pano with all the code included using the marzipano tool. If you want an offline version of marzipano tool you can use the version I made myself here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UAPp5k6fahRHWaF1v6RuBrO7OIPqE2T-/view?usp=drive_link

This also has a new option to change the quality of the image produced. I guess you are worried as I was that the tool would disappear at some point. This will need to be run from a local server.

Cheers,

Steve

Łukasz Kraus

Nov 22, 2023, 2:44:02 PM11/22/23
to marzipano
Exactly - that's what worries me the most :(

Let me give a try with your version, I'll reply here Tomorrow latest! Thank you! :)

Joost

Nov 23, 2023, 2:36:20 AM11/23/23
to marz...@googlegroups.com
I have temporarily uploaded it to my website and it works "out of the box". http://www.districteastgames.com/marzipano

thanks,
Joost

Reuben Pillay

Nov 23, 2023, 3:42:12 AM11/23/23
to marz...@googlegroups.com

Hello Stephen,

Tell me, by “option to change the quality of the image produced”, do you mean that you can select better quality than what’s available in the normal tool? Like to make gigapixel images for example?

That would be quite interesting…

Thanks in advance,

Reuben

Stephen Sandison

Nov 23, 2023, 4:09:01 AM11/23/23
to marz...@googlegroups.com
Hi Reuben,

It’s the quality level of the image tiles produced. I just made it variable rather than the fixed value that was set in the original code. It doesn’t increase the tile size or levels produced.

Cheers,

Steve

Reuben Pillay

Nov 23, 2023, 4:12:31 AM11/23/23
to marz...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for replying quickly Steve!

I see, so it’s the jpeg percentage, right? Okay – so is the fixed marzipano code somewhere in the middle and your code can increase or decrease it? Or does your code only lower the quality?

Cheers,

Reuben

Stephen Sandison

Nov 23, 2023, 4:19:56 AM11/23/23
to marz...@googlegroups.com
Yes it’s the quality level. I can’t remember what the original code was fixed at now but you can certainly set it to 100% for full quality or drop it to save on file size which is what I needed at the time.

Cheers,

Steve

Reuben Pillay

Nov 23, 2023, 4:23:35 AM11/23/23
to marz...@googlegroups.com

Alright, thanks loads, I’ll try a file on both and see the filesizes that are generated J

Cheers,

Reuben

Łukasz Kraus

Nov 25, 2023, 8:23:38 AM11/25/23
to marzipano
Dear Stephan,

Thank you! You made my day! I uploaded it to my server and it's working great. However just one question - zoom-in (+) and zoom-out (-) are not working in my exported designs. Do you have the same or I did somethign wrong?

And sorry for not being able to respond yesterday like I said, some unplanned works pop-up. Anyway thank you one more time for support!

Stephen Sandison

Nov 26, 2023, 2:45:05 AM11/26/23
to marz...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lukasz,

I’m not really sure actually because I only really use the tiles that are generated with a separate install of the marzipano library. I have only altered small parts of the code as it’s minified and difficult to work with. You could try using the normal marzipano tool to generate a set of files and compare the differences and see if the same occurs with that.

Cheers,

Steve