The Peak View Newsletter July 15th, 2024

Rose Young

Jul 15, 2024, 2:59:20 PM (2 days ago) Jul 15
to marys-pe...@googlegroups.com
The Peak View
Marys Peak Group - Sierra Club
P.O Box 863, Corvallis, OR 97339

July 15th, 2024

Hikes:

New! This Week! Saturday July 20th – Browder Ridge Hike
8:30 am - 2:30 pm

Willamette National Forest
Distance: About 4 miles up and back
Elevation gain: 1,180 feet
Difficulty: Difficult
Registration required!
 Contact the outing leader to reserve a spot and obtain further details. Leader: Randy Rasmussenquietre...@gmail.com
Group limit: 12

Join this steep and largely sunny hike in the Old Cascades near Tombstone Pass. We’ll saunter first through some old-growth and mature true fir forests, then ascend a series of switchbacks through bracken fern to arrive at a series of alpine meadows and rocky outcrops. We will be rewarded with views of Mount Jefferson, Mount Washington, and the Three Sisters. While the wildflowers reached their peak a few weeks ago, there may still be some good viewing. Wear clothing appropriate for the weather, including possible afternoon thunder showers. Wear comfortable and sturdy shoes with traction. Bring water and a snack, plus lunch. Trekking poles are suggested. Our pace will be modest with frequent stops. Since it’s about a 1.5-hour drive to the trailhead from Corvallis, carpooling is suggested. The outing leader will provide information about where to meet and directions to the trailhead.

******

New! Monday, July 22nd - Cabell Marsh to Beaver and Cattails Ponds
8:00 am – 12:00 noon
Finley Wildlife Refuge, Corvallis, OR
Distance: 5.7 miles
Elevation Gain: 100-140 feet
Difficulty: Easy-to-moderate
Registration required! The group is limited to 12 participants. To sign up for this hike, contact outing co-leader, Sheryl Thorburn, at thorbu...@comcast.net.

This 5.7-mile hike in Finley Wildlife Refuge combines the Cabell Marsh Trail, Pigeon-Butte Trail, Homer Campbell Memorial Boardwalk, Cattail Pond Trail, and Beaver Pond Trail (please note that maps differ in how they label these trails). The hike is mostly out-and-back but also includes 2 loops. Although this hike is generally flat, we have rated it easy-to-moderate because of the distance. There are great views of Cabell Marsh, and many opportunities to see birds and other wildlife throughout the hike. Some of the trails are gravel/rock, so we recommend wearing sturdy shoes or boots. Most of the trails are wide, but parts of the Cattail Pond and Beaver Pond trails are narrow and may have poison oak nearby. Most of this hike is exposed, so bring sun protection. We will take short stops for water and photos.

We will meet at the parking area for Cabell Marsh Overlook Trail at 8:00am; we will begin the hike no later than 8:10am, so get there early! From Corvallis, go south on 99 W. about 10 miles. Turn right on Finley Road (there is a sign). From this point, the roads are dirt. You will continue on Finley Road until you turn left on Finley Refuge Rd. You will continue past the Campbell Boardwalk Parking and the John Fiechter House on your left. Take the next road on your left to the Cabell Marsh Overlook Trail; we will meet in the parking area at the end of this short road. Outing co-Leaders: Sheryl Thorburn and Mary Beth Downes.

******
New! Thursday August 1st - Gwynn Creek Loop
10:00 am - 3:30 pm (8:00 am-5:00 pm from Corvallis)
Cape Perpetua, OR
Distance:  5.8 - 7.87 miles
Elevation Gain: 1265 ft
Difficulty: Difficult
Registration required! The group will be limited to 12 participants. Contact the outing leader to reserve a spot and obtain further details. Leader: Robert White, rlw...@gmail.com

Cape Perpetua is a popular stop for those visiting the Oregon Coast. The Visitor’s Center also serves as the starting point for several hikes into the dense Sitka spruce forest. We will hike the Gwynn Creek Trail, which is reached via Cooks Ridge Trail. It is #57 in Sullivan’s “Oregon Coast Hikes.” He lists the hike at 5.8 miles. The Forest Service signs indicated 6.7 miles, and my GPS was at 7.8 miles. The elevation gain was 1265 feet and the hiking time was nearly five hours. The first 3 miles essentially follow Cooks Ridge “up” to Gwynn Creek Trail. At that point we will descend back down towards the ocean. Once we reach the Pacific Coast Trail we head north to the visitor’s center. The outing is rated difficult—but beautiful.

The trails are generally in good condition, except for an embankment where you might choose to sit down to ease yourself down to the trail. Trekking poles are helpful in these “rooty” areas. Good trail shoes are essential and be sure to bring plenty of water. We will stop for lunch deep in the woods. The weather can be quite variable. When scouting the route it was 105 in Corvallis, 65 at the trailhead, and probably 85 in the canyon. The Visitor’s Center is about four miles south of Yachats. We will be parking in their lot so National Forest permits are required. There are excellent restrooms available. We will try to leave the trailhead promptly at 10:00. You will need to allow about 1 hour 45 minutes to drive from Corvallis. Additional information will be sent closer to the date of the hike. We may have some suggestions with regards to travel.

******
Announcements:

Sign up for E-Voting

The Sierra Club requires that each Group hold elections every fall for membership in its Executive Committee (Ex Con). MPG members may vote via paper ballot or via digital voting through an independent online company. Statements from the candidates will be available on both paper and electronic ballot. To save paper and costs for MPG, sign up to vote digitally. Contact the elections committee at maryspeakgro...@gmail.com.
If you voted digitally last year, you are already on that list.

******

2023 Champinefu Lectures are Now on YouTube

Closed-caption recordings on the first two Champineful Lectures are now available on YouTube.

Willamette River: Ancestral Highway

YouTube Recording

This recording begins with a film by the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde on the topic of canoe culture. It is followed by a panel discussion about the importance of canoe culture to the Grand Ronde and their relationship to the Willamette River.

Fire is Life: Living in Relation with Indigenous Fire Practices of Western Oregon

YouTube Recording

Joe Scott (Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians), winner of the 2023 Indigenous Place Keeping Artist (IPKA) Fellowship, was the presenter. He discussed how he is connecting local indigenous people to the sacred fire resources and practices that have sustained people of this place through the seasonal round since Time Immemorial.

******
Spring 2023 Frenkel Lecture Series on Wetlands Now on YouTube

The three 2023 Liz and Bob Frenkel Environment and Hiking Spring Series webinars are now available on YouTube with closed caption subtitles.

Reviving the Wetlands at Finley National Wildlife Refuge

A high level of wetland restoration work has already established the Finley Wildlife National Refuge as a significant wildlife refuge that also attracts thousands of visitors each year. This webinar will show you a mature restoration site and how you can best enjoy it.

Reviving the Wetlands at Herbert Farm Natural Area

Herbert Natural Area is a little visited, beautiful natural area in the middle of a restoration process. Owned by the City of Corvallis and purchased to be restored as a natural area, the Institute for Applied Ecology has been managing the restoration process, assisted by the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde.

Owens Farm/Jackson-Frazier Wetland Complex

This webinar will present a bold plan to restore the entire wetland and make it publicly accessible through a network of extensive trails. This will not only open up a new wildlife refuge area, but it will open up a whole new hiking experience in the region.

******
All three of the 2022 Champinefu Webinars are now available for viewing on YouTube.

Each webinar presents a very different view of Kalapuya or indigenous placekeeping from the perspective of the Kalapuya.  These webinars in ascending order will open the eyes to non-Kalapuya residents.  Please take the opportunity to watch them and then share the links with your colleagues, friends and family members:

Shawala
Champinefu Webinar Series 2022: Shawala - Birthplace of William Hartless - YouTube

Kalapuya Seasonal Rounds and Their Removal from Corvallis
Champinefu Webinar Series 2022: The Kalapuya Seasonal Round at the Confluence - YouTube

Indigenous Placekeeping
Champinefu Webinar Series 2022: Indigenous Placekeeping in Corvallis and at the Confluence - YouTube

******
General Notes:

1) Newcomers to MPG outing events, please view the GENERAL OUTING POLICY on our MPG website http://oregon2.sierraclub.org/marys-peak  before pre-registering for or attending an outing.

2) Contacting Marys Peak Group:  Marys Peak Group contact information is obtainable at  http://oregon2.sierraclub.org/marys-peak  Listed are the Executive Committee members and the Administrative and Program Coordinators.

3) Facebook: Marys Peak Group – Sierra Club is on Facebook.  Check out MPG’s Facebook page to view pictures of past hikes and events, and learn about upcoming opportunities.  Post pictures from hikes and outings you participate in! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marys-Peak-Group-Sierra-Club/159377960779

4) Minutes of the MPG Executive Committee can be viewed at the aforementioned website by clicking on the About Us/Ex Comm Meeting Minutes tab or by clicking on MPGMinutes_Jan2024 for the minutes of the last meeting on January 4th, 2024.

******
OSU Forestry Recreation Updates: