The Peak View Newsletter June 10th, 2024

Rose Young

Jun 10, 2024, 3:00:24 PMJun 10
to marys-pe...@googlegroups.com
The Peak View
Marys Peak Group - Sierra Club
P.O Box 863, Corvallis, OR 97339

June 10th, 2024

Hikes:

This Week! Thursday, June 13th - Quercus Meadow and Then Some
10:00 am - 2:00 pm
McDonald Forest
Corvallis, OR
Difficulty: Moderate
Length: Just under 5 miles
Elevation gain: 900 feet
Registration required!

Join us for a truly local hike on the north edge of Corvallis in McDonald Forest. Our moderate hike will be just under five miles with about 900 feet of elevation gain. The Quercus Meadow Trail has been challenging to reach due to recent construction in the area. However, an improved alternative access is available from the 29th Street trailhead.
The route will be one large clockwise circle: 29th St. to Quercus Meadow Trail, Road 612, Middle Dan's Trail, Dan's Horse Connector, Lower Horse Trail, Lower Dan's Trail, Chip Ross Trail, Chip Ross/29th St. Trail.
The outing is rated moderate due to elevation gain and some steep trail segments. There is abundant poison oak just off the trails, so we need to hike single file on narrow trails. We will stop for a snack break around mid-way. Be sure to bring plenty of water. Proper footwear is always essential.
The group will be limited to 12 participants. We will leave promptly at 10:00 am so plan to be there by 9:50 am.

Contact the outing leader to reserve a spot and obtain further details. Leader: Robert Whiterlw...@gmail.com

******

Monday, June 17th - Pigeon Butte Hike

5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Finley Wildlife Refuge, Bruce Road Entrance
Corvallis, OR
Length: +/- 3.5 miles
Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
Elevation gain: some
Registration required!

Enjoy an evening hike at the southern end of Finley Wildlife Refuge. We'll walk through Cheadle marsh where you'll hear birdsong and frogs and smell the abundant wild roses. At the top of Pigeon Butte are beautiful views. Birders and photographers will really enjoy this hike! It is about 3.5 miles, depending on which route we use to return. There is some elevation gain, so I'm rating this hike easy to moderate. I recommend boots, as the grass can be long and wet.
We will meet at 5:30 pm at the trailhead on Bruce Road. To get there take 99 South. Travel about 10 miles south of Corvallis. Bruce Road is on your right at the southern end of the refuge. Go past two parking areas on your right. Pigeon Butte is the third parking area on the right. I drive a red Subaru Outback and I will get there early, so look for me.

To register for this hike please contact trip leader Mary Beth Downes at mbcd...@gmail.com

******

Thursday, June 27th - Peavy Peak Perimeter Loop

9:30 am - 12:30 pm
McDonald Forest
Corvallis, OR
Length: 4 miles
Difficulty: Moderate
Elevation gain: +/- 1000 feet
Registration required!

This 4-mile hike combines parts of the Section 36 Loop Trail and other "hiking only" trails in the Peavy Arboretum area. We will start from the Forest Parking area near the beginning of Forest Road 500. The route will be a large clockwise loop: Forest Discovery Trail to CFIRP Trail, Section 36 Loop Trail, Powder House Trail, Section 36 again, and Forest Road 500. The nearly 1,000 ft. elevation gain is in the first 2 miles; the hike is rated moderate due to this steady incline, and hiking poles may be helpful. We will stop along the Powder House Trail (about the midway point) to take in the views and have a water/snack break. The second half of the hike is downhill, passing Cronemiller Lake and the Forestry Club Cabin on our return to the parking area.
We will meet at the Forest Parking area in Peavy Arboretum at 9:30 for a 9:40 departure. From Corvallis, go north on NW Hwy 99, turn left on NW Arboretum Rd, and go less than a mile to the entrance to Peavy Arboretum on the left. Just after you enter Peavy, go left on NW Peavy Arboretum Rd for about a third of a mile to a Y in the road; the Forest Parking area will be to the left. Outing co-leaders are Sheryl Thorburn and Mary Beth Downes.

The group is limited to 12 participants. To sign up for this hike, contact outing co-leader, Sheryl Thorburn, at thorbu...@comcast.net

******

Announcements:

Summer Potluck and Optional Hike
Saturday, June 22nd
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Willamette Park Rotary Shelter
1350 SE Goodnight, Corvallis

Please join us as we celebrate the arrival of summer! Meet and greet old and new friends!

What to bring:
1) Dish to share with others and ingredient list (salad, main dish, or dessert)
2) Plate, bowl, utensils and napkin
3) Water and personal beverage (no alcohol please)
4) Chair (optional, there are several picnic tables)

From 1-3 pm we will gather, eat, and then hear the latest Marys Peak news.
From 3-5 pm Robert White will lead an optional hike through Willamette Park.

There will be T-shirts for sale.
Friends and family are welcome.

If you have any questions, please contact Mary Beth Downes at mbcd...@gmail.com.

******

Sign up for E-Voting
The Sierra Club requires that each Group hold elections every fall for membership in its Executive Committee (Ex Con). MPG members may vote via paper ballot or via digital voting through an independent online company. Statements from the candidates will be available on both paper and electronic ballot. To save paper and costs for MPG, sign up to vote digitally. Contact the elections committee at maryspeakgro...@gmail.com.
If you voted digitally last year, you are already on that list.

******

2023 Champinefu Lectures are Now on YouTube

Closed-caption recordings on the first two Champineful Lectures are now available on YouTube.

Willamette River: Ancestral Highway

YouTube Recording

This recording begins with a film by the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde on the topic of canoe culture. It is followed by a panel discussion about the importance of canoe culture to the Grand Ronde and their relationship to the Willamette River.

Fire is Life: Living in Relation with Indigenous Fire Practices of Western Oregon

YouTube Recording

Joe Scott (Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians), winner of the 2023 Indigenous Place Keeping Artist (IPKA) Fellowship, was the presenter. He discussed how he is connecting local indigenous people to the sacred fire resources and practices that have sustained people of this place through the seasonal round since Time Immemorial.

******
Spring 2023 Frenkel Lecture Series on Wetlands Now on YouTube

The three 2023 Liz and Bob Frenkel Environment and Hiking Spring Series webinars are now available on YouTube with closed caption subtitles.

Reviving the Wetlands at Finley National Wildlife Refuge

A high level of wetland restoration work has already established the Finley Wildlife National Refuge as a significant wildlife refuge that also attracts thousands of visitors each year. This webinar will show you a mature restoration site and how you can best enjoy it.

Reviving the Wetlands at Herbert Farm Natural Area

Herbert Natural Area is a little visited, beautiful natural area in the middle of a restoration process. Owned by the City of Corvallis and purchased to be restored as a natural area, the Institute for Applied Ecology has been managing the restoration process, assisted by the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde.

Owens Farm/Jackson-Frazier Wetland Complex

This webinar will present a bold plan to restore the entire wetland and make it publicly accessible through a network of extensive trails. This will not only open up a new wildlife refuge area, but it will open up a whole new hiking experience in the region.

******
All three of the 2022 Champinefu Webinars are now available for viewing on YouTube.

Each webinar presents a very different view of Kalapuya or indigenous placekeeping from the perspective of the Kalapuya.  These webinars in ascending order will open the eyes to non-Kalapuya residents.  Please take the opportunity to watch them and then share the links with your colleagues, friends and family members:

Shawala
Champinefu Webinar Series 2022: Shawala - Birthplace of William Hartless - YouTube

Kalapuya Seasonal Rounds and Their Removal from Corvallis
Champinefu Webinar Series 2022: The Kalapuya Seasonal Round at the Confluence - YouTube

Indigenous Placekeeping
Champinefu Webinar Series 2022: Indigenous Placekeeping in Corvallis and at the Confluence - YouTube

******
General Notes:

1) Newcomers to MPG outing events, please view the GENERAL OUTING POLICY on our MPG website http://oregon2.sierraclub.org/marys-peak  before pre-registering for or attending an outing.

2) Contacting Marys Peak Group:  Marys Peak Group contact information is obtainable at  http://oregon2.sierraclub.org/marys-peak  Listed are the Executive Committee members and the Administrative and Program Coordinators.

3) Facebook: Marys Peak Group – Sierra Club is on Facebook.  Check out MPG’s Facebook page to view pictures of past hikes and events, and learn about upcoming opportunities.  Post pictures from hikes and outings you participate in! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marys-Peak-Group-Sierra-Club/159377960779

4) Minutes of the MPG Executive Committee can be viewed at the aforementioned website by clicking on the About Us/Ex Comm Meeting Minutes tab or by clicking on MPGMinutes_Jan2024 for the minutes of the last meeting on January 4th, 2024.

******
OSU Forestry Recreation Updates: