Maryand Labor History Museum

William Barry

Aug 15, 2013, 11:05:13 AM8/15/13
to maryland-la...@googlegroups.com
        As you all know, I have talked for years about starting a Maryland Labor History Museum, to feature displays and programs to celebrate the workers across the state. I have a lot of material, of course, from Sparrows Point but have been getting inquiries from other locals, and workers groups, about protecting and presenting their histories.
       I am now in the process of getting a 501(c)(3) status so I can apply for some grants to get started though I see the museum ultimately as a kind of union: self-financing. It is dangerous to become dependent upon the generosity of the wealthy, especially when we are featuring a movement that tries to reduce their wealth.
       I am now scouting out a physical location to use for a couple of years while we get started and there are several promising sites in the Dundalk area. I want a place that is visible and large enough to hold programs--authors, photographers, retired workers, historians, etc., and become a center of activity for labor history.
      I also need to set up a board to help with the museum and I'll take any volunteers from among you to start. I'm not asking for any of your money,of course, but helping with fundraising will be part of our challenge. More important is looking at exhibits and activities that will make the new museum an exciting place to be and to visit.
Bill

"We are either part of the solution or part of the problem"

"The only reason an organization has dead wood is that management either hired dead wood or it hired live wood and killed it."   - W. Edwards Deming

Vincetob

Aug 15, 2013, 2:05:00 PM8/15/13
to maryland-la...@googlegroups.com
Bill

I'd be happy to help in any way I can, including on the board if needed. I hate fundraising, but realize the necessity, so keep me posted.

Just got back from two weeks in Ireland, finally tracked down the house in which my grandfather was born. Its for sale!

Had a great time, including visits with long lost third cousins.

Vincent