New book by Paul Shackel

billbar...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2013, 5:13:08 PM1/4/13
to maryland-la...@googlegroups.com
        I know it's been a long time since anyone posted on this discussion board but I wanted to alert you to the new book by one of our own, Paul Shackel's The Archeology of American Labor and Working Class Life, which looks at how  digging up working class neighborhoods can illustrate the lives and social relations of the residents. Many of us have enjoyed seeing the privies of Hampden, with Dave Gabsby, and the contours of the Irish community of Texas, MD, with Stephen Brighton so there are some living examples in this area developed under Paul's direction.
       Congrats to Paul. The hardback is a heart-stopping $70.00 but the paperback is $ 20 so it's affordable.
        Also--get ready to party when the state of Maryland is finally ready to install the historical marker at Camden Yards to celebrate the 1877railroad strikers. I'm shooting for Opening Day but somehow I don't think we'll make it. Party to follow at The Irish Railroad Workers Shrine on Lemon Street, across from the B & O Museum. The marker is being cast.