MaruOS on Sa&msung Note9

Philippe Bernardini

Dec 13, 2020, 3:21:04 AM12/13/20
to Maru OS dev

Hi,

I would like to install Maru OS on a Note 9, but I can't find any information on a previous try, Did somebody tried already, I would like to avoid the common pit fold and find out what doesn't works before I start.

Thanks

loicp...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2020, 6:28:53 AM12/19/20
to Maru OS dev

Hi Philippe.

As I could find on XDA, there seems to be LOS variants from 15.1 up to latest versions.
We're currently into the process of migrating maru from v0.6 to v0.7 (based on LOS16).

If you've never built any android rom, it will be a long way, but you can start by trying to build classical LOS. this thread share it's sources.
If you've already built android, I would just recommend to hold off a few weeks as we finish transition to maru 0.7 and the start porting.

Anyway if you don't wanna spend time learning hor to build/port, once maru0.7 is ready, I can try to port it to Note 9, and I will need your help to test as I do not own the mobile.

loicp...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2020, 6:29:40 AM12/19/20
to Maru OS dev
If wou're too eager, you can try to port maru 0.6 to your phone as it is based on LOS15.1

philippe.bernardini

Dec 19, 2020, 2:52:55 PM12/19/20
to loicp...@gmail.com, Maru OS dev
Hi

I've never build a rom from scratch, i used cyanogen a few year ago but using img that where already made

I think that I'm going to buy a used note 9 to build it because i don't want to try directly on my daily phone.

When you use Maru on big screen how different is it from linux? I use my note 9 with a nexdock as my main tool when i travel, if i make the change is to get closer to a linux system

Cheers
Philippe

Envoyé depuis mon appareil Galaxy

Dec 19, 2020, 7:23:09 PM12/19/20
to philippe.bernardini, loicp...@gmail.com, Maru OS dev
The Linux on MaruOS is the ARM/ARM64 variant. It can run basic softwares, such as browser, email client, vscode, etc.
But it doesn't have enough build toolchain for complicated build work, I think.

It supports apt to update the system, and it can work correctly many times. But we have found the new version of systemd
cause the break of sudo permission for old devices, such as pixel/pixel XL, with old kernels that don't support the new kernel
feature used by the new systemd.

It doesn't support audio correctly, so if you have a large demand for audio, maybe it is not suitable for you.

For developers, they can use it to do simple development work, such as web development. For a normal user, he/he can
use it to do normal work, such as writing/reading documents, viewing and responding emails.

It's enough for me to use it as a normal Linux desktop, and hope it can work for you.

philippe.bernardini

Dec 20, 2020, 2:19:54 AM12/20/20
to utzcoz, loicp...@gmail.com, Maru OS dev
Thank you for these informations

Most of my work is done on libre office and web apps, i have only few non open source apps, the one i use the most is garmin connect for my watch

I'm using audio to listen ro music and youtube, is the Bluetooth audio working correctly?

In linux mode do you know if I can use thunderbird, firefox libreoffice qcad and joplin that would be 90% of my needs