[Asus ROG Phone 5 / 5s] Porting thread

Adrian Marian Popoviciu

Sep 28, 2022, 11:09:44 AM9/28/22
to Maru OS dev
Hello everyone,

I have been following Maru OS for a while and I finally worked up the courage to port it myself to this device.

I am mostly coming from game development background, so I am open to any tips/suggestions that might make my life a bit easier.

I am currently sill looking over the docs and I grabbed the firmware. I will try to keep everything updated here and I will post links to my GitHub repositories soon.

Thank you and have a nice day,
Adrian-Marian Popoviciu.

loicp...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2022, 8:09:02 PM9/28/22
to Maru OS dev
Okay, let us know, we will try to help you the best we can.

Adrian Marian Popoviciu

Sep 29, 2022, 11:17:34 AM9/29/22
to Maru OS dev
I am still getting the repositories so I did not get to get to the "Building" part of the docs yet.
In the meantime I decided to search more info for anything helpful done for this device. Here are some of the highlights in case they are helpful for anybody stumbling upon this in the future:
  1. There is an official TWRP built for this device: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/recovery-official-twrp-for-asus-rog-phone-5-rog-phone-5s.4333661/
  2. I should be able to install GSIs: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/install-any-custom-rom-on-rog-phone-5-5s-gsi.4369367/
  3. I found this modified kernel that I am planning to use as a base: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/kernel-20-06-2022-android-12-kirisakura-2-0-9-for-asus-rog-phone-5-aka-anakin.4333363/
I am not sure if I understood anything wrong until now, but I guess I should be to compile Maru OS as a GIS and then easily install it, right?
Based on my understanding the only downside would be that GIS are not as optimized for devices as custom ROMs, but at this point I looking just to get this started properly and see it running.

Please correct me if I have any misconceptions so far!

Adrian Marian Popoviciu

Oct 1, 2022, 2:02:03 AM10/1/22
to Maru OS dev
I hit my head pretty early because in the build phase.
I used the docker environment and I keep getting this error on build:

ERROR: Unable to fetch GPG key from keyserver
lxc-create: stretch-container: lxccontainer.c: create_run_template: 1617 Failed to create container from template
lxc-create: stretch-container: tools/lxc_create.c: main: 327 Failed to create container stretch-container

So far I tried the following:
  1. Use a different version of docker environment. I tried mstu-0.6, maru-0.7 and maru-latest
  2. I tried starting the containers with --network host
  3. I tried to run this before executing the build command with various key servers: export DOWNLOAD_KEYSERVER="hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com".
Any ideas on this issue?