I have uploaded a release candidate for Marpa::R2 8.000000

Jeffrey Kegler

Dec 10, 2018, 12:40:40 PM12/10/18
to Marpa Parser Mailing LIst
I have uploaded a new release candidate for Marpa::R2: https://metacpan.org/pod/release/JKEGL/Marpa-R2-7.001_000/pod/Marpa_R2.pod .  This is the release candidate for Marpa::R2 8.000000, which I hope to release next week.

Value added is the fix to the SvIOK problem, as summarized here: https://github.com/jeffreykegler/Marpa--R2/blob/master/UPDATES.md#integer-arguments-of-lexeme_complete-and-resume-sometimes-ignored .

Typically, two indexed releases in rapid succession indicate some new problem in the first of those releases, but in this case, the timing is coincidence.  On the day of the release, while working on unrelated matters, I ran into a problem with the integer arguments to $recce->resume().  The problem may also affect the integer arguments to the $recce->lexeme_complete() command.  The summary linked to above describes a workaround.

The problem is rare -- AFAIK I am the only one who has been bitten by it.  It occurs when the integer argument is considered by the Perl internal to be "tied", and involves a change (as of Perl 5.18) to the Perl XS API.  I believe that Perls 5.16 and prior are unaffected.

Testing is appreciated.  Thanks, jeffrey

Message has been deleted

Jeffrey Kegler

Dec 11, 2018, 3:27:13 PM12/11/18
to Marpa Parser Mailing LIst
Look at cpanm and the documentation for it.  If you're really new, first make sure you have cpanm and Perl itself OK, then try the last stable Marpa::R2, which you should be able to get with just

cpanm Marpa::R2

Only once you've done all that and are comfortable with it, should you consider installing a development version.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 3:22 PM David Whitten <whi...@worldvista.org> wrote:
Jeffrey,
I would like to test the newest version listed below,
but I am a newbie.
I used:
$ perl -MCPAN -e shell
Terminal does not support AddHistory.
cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v2.16)
Enter 'h' for help.

cpan[1]> install Marpa::R2::Value
Marpa::R2::Value is up to date (6.000000).

cpan[2]>

As you can see, it did not install version 7.000 simply stated that it had already installed version 6.

Two questions (one to help me learn, one to help find a solution)

1) Should I have been able to find the answer to this question on https://metacpan.org/pod/release/JKEGL/Marpa-R2-7.001_000/pod/Marpa_R2.pod#NAME

2) where should I have found my answer, or what text would google need to find it?

Thanks,
David Whitten