Server Cleanup 2.6.2

1 view

Mark Gabrenas

May 16, 2007, 10:37:29 AM5/16/07
to marksu...@googlegroups.com, Dave Casselman
2.6.2 fixes some issues with 10.3 servers which were caused by some optimizations in the code that 10.3 doesn't like, but 10.4 doesn't seem to mind. If you are using 10.4, you do not need to download this version, except to complete your set (collect them all!). This version DOES work fine with 10.4, there just isn't anything new for 10.4 users.

Mark Gabrenas
Apple Certified Systems Administrator

jayscot

May 17, 2007, 12:11:06 AM5/17/07
to Mark's Mac Utilties Mailing List
Thanks for the update to 2.6.2. Now the error messages do not pop up
on 10.3.9 Server. I noticed an applescript error message did appear
when I selected a Group and tried to redirect Appleworks User Date
Folder. I had to force quit to get out of that. However that may be
because you cannot do that!? Anyway I selected all the users and
carried out the process that way.

I tried to add a file to the Managed folder to see if it would drop it
on a user's desktop but it did not work. I may still have something
wrong somewhere. Also attempting to control iTunes Music Store, Shared
and Podcasts I found that nothing picked up there. Both my clients and
server are 10.3.9 so it may require 10.4.

Can iTunes Radio be controlled through these features somehow. That
was my reason for testing iTunes control.

Very cool utility.

Mark Gabrenas

May 17, 2007, 9:07:56 AM5/17/07
to marksu...@googlegroups.com, jayscot
I found the problem with Groups and fixed it and took care of the Features control problem (could have sworn I had fixed this before, the problem with supporting multiple versions in parallel I suppose), so that should work ok now.

I have never found a way to turn off the iTunes radio feature. There doesn't seem to be a "defaults" command that corresponds to it (nothing in the preferences I can change via the command line). I haven't checked recently thou, so things may have changed.

Copying to the folders is working fine here, so there may be something wrong on your end. You are placing the item(s) in /Library/Managed/Desktop and remembering to click the Copy button and the Desktop button in the Modifications tab in SC?

2.6.3 is up to take care of the issues noted below. web.mac.com/bancher

Mark Gabrenas
Apple Certified Systems Administrator

Mark Gabrenas

May 17, 2007, 10:48:51 AM5/17/07
to marksu...@googlegroups.com, jayscot
I have updated SC yet again. 2.6.4 will allow you to disable the iTunes radio option (I figured it out, they apparently changed something in the newer versions of iTunes).

As an aside, this is where the Advanced section comes in to play. The following commands will do this from the Advanced tab, one line per text field:

defaults write  &homePath& /Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes disableRadio -bool NO
chown -R &current_user&:  &homePath& /Library/Preferences/

Alternatively, you could leave out the second line and tell SC to fix the user's permissions from the Permissions tab. Obviously, if you download 2.6.4 there is a nice button to do it for you, but this is a good example of how SC can be programmed after the fact to do things I may not have implemented.

I have found a problem with the Advanced tab in 2.6.2 and 2.6.3 that is fixed in 2.6.4 and does not exist in versions prior to 2.6.2. If you use the Advanced tab, click on the Users, Groups or Folders tab (whichever you are in) AFTER you choose the Advanced tab and it will work fine. 2.6.4 fixes this.