created myself a problem with AppleWorks

jayscot

Jun 5, 2007, 10:17:05 PM6/5/07
to Mark's Mac Utilties Mailing List
I used Server Cleanup to make a symbolic link in the Documents folder
of each user. This was to link <Appleworks User Data> to the tmp
folder on the local drive. After a couple of days I started getting
complaints of Appleworks not launching. Sure enough there was one
bounce on the Dock and nothing else. Even logging in as Administrator
did not make it launch. After much checking and scratching of my head
I just deleted the Appleworks app folder and copied one from another
drive. Everything would work then.

The next day a teacher is back and says it is doing it again. This
time she had been running it for a while on one file. Then she quit
the program and double clicked a different file and it would not run.

I tried deleting the alias in her Docs folder but it would not launch.
In my computer class I started seeing students have the same problem.
So I used a script in Terminal to delete about 600 symbolic links from
all the user folders. But the problem still existed and the regular AW
UserData folder was not created. I logged in as Admin on a local
computer and used Terminal to rm -r tmp, but now I was not able to log
into the computer as a regular user. But AW does launch and creates
its own data folder. So back in as Admin and created a tmp directory
with 777. After about 2 restarts a user can log in. (There are a
couple of network cache files in there and they may not be getting
created fast enough)

Is this kind of procedure supposed/likely to work for Appleworks or am
I just doing something wrong here?
Server 10.3.9
iMacs 10.3.9