Subtle differences when particulars are "lost in the translation"

1 view

Clay Shannon

Dec 22, 2016, 2:53:00 PM12/22/16
to mark-twain...@googlegroups.com
I was re-reading the Spanish/English version of Tom Sawyer (https://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Tom-Sawyer-English-Spanish/dp/1535244585) and noticed an interesting translating "error" that was not really that, just a peculiarity of the language.

Where Tom is talking about marbles, he calls two of them "brothers"; in the spanish translation, they are called sisters ("hermanas"); why? because Spanish, like most or at least many languages, assigns a gender to nouns, and marbles (canica) are feminine.

So it might be said that in the conversion from English to Spanish, the marbles lost their balls ... or am I losing my marbles?