Was Sam's stingy taskmasker related to the religious figure Twain later lambasted?

Clay Shannon

Jan 2, 2017, 5:04:15 PM1/2/17
to mark-twain...@googlegroups.com
There were two Aments in Twain's life. If they were Smith or Brown, who would notice, but Ament is not a common name. The first one was the printer he apprenticed under in Hannibal, as noted here:

“I was supposed to get two suits of clothes a year, but I didn’t get them. I got one suit and took the rest out in Ament’s old garments,

The other was "The Rev. Mr. Ament, of the American Board of Foreign Mission" as noted here:

Could it be that these two were related? If so, what a coincidence. And might have had an immediate negative reaction to the surname, even if subconciously? Who can hear the surnames Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini, without an immediate repulsion?

Other interesting similarities in names in Twain's world are Lam[b,p]ton, Langdon, Langhorne; also Paine and Paige.