How do you deal with "political incorrectness" in Twain's writings?

Clay Shannon

Dec 16, 2016, 2:13:54 PM12/16/16
to mark-twain...@googlegroups.com
As we all know, some (actually most, or at least much) of Twain's writings have been maligned, banned, and suppressed over the years for a variety of reasons and for different motives.

There are two situations that can be particularly troublesome nowadays:

1) The use of the "N" word, especially in Huckleberry Finn

2) The negativity expressed towards "Indians" (native Americans)

I understand Twain's motives in using the "N" word in "Huck Finn," but seeing the word in print is still a bitter pill to swallow for many; in fact, I myself don't feel comfortable reading it aloud. I would like to ask y'all: How do you defend Twain's use of the "N" word when you are challenged about it? I can sympathize with people who take issue with it, and would like to know the best way to confront this.

As for #2, it may be that Twain's own feelings and motives cannot be used as a defense in this case; in his early writings, at least, he is genuinely derisive of Indians (in the interest of full disclosure: although I am mostly "white" I also have native American blood - Karok, Yurok, Wiyot, and Cherokee).

An especially egregious example is chapter 19 of "Roughing It" (my favorite "non-fiction" work of his).

Has anyone here even been "challenged" on these writings (as you are probably viewed among your acquas being a Twain apologist)? If so, how have you responded? Do later writings exist where Twain admits, either directly or indirectly, the error of his thinking regarding native Americans?

David Antonucci

Dec 17, 2016, 11:42:14 AM12/17/16
to Mark Twain Universal

During research and writing of the book, Fairest Picture – Mark Twain at Lake Tahoe, I encountered Twain’s use of the d-word. He clearly used it in the pejorative sense with intent to do harm. In the book, I quoted passages that contained this word, but redacted it and replaced it with “[derogatory name for a California or Nevada Native American tribe].”

This was an easy decision to make. I consulted with a representative of the Washoe Tribe, a target of Twain. The tribal member was adamant that the term was a negative stereotype that embodied all the past wrongs inflicted on Native Americans by Euro-Americans in the West. Their goal was to eradicate the term from the vernacular. For me, it was not an issue of political correctness; it was a simple matter of respect toward our fellow Americans.

The negative feelings toward Twain’s racist writings still run strong in the Washoe Tribe. This was laid bare when the Nevada Board on Geographical Names made a second failed attempt to name a random cove in Lake Tahoe after Clemens. The Washoe Cultural Affairs Officer testified against the proposal based on Twain’s lifetime history of racist writings about Native Americans. Twain’s denigration of the tribe and its culture was a central issue, and the naming was a cultural insult to the tribe which considers Lake Tahoe its spiritual center.

Jon Kerr

Dec 25, 2016, 4:58:15 PM12/25/16
to David Antonucci, Mark Twain Universal
This is just a short anecdote rather than a full answer to the worthy question. But over the holidays I was driving cross country in the Midwest and decided to play an audio book of Huckleberry Finn to help pass the miles.

Very thoughtlessly, I went through two turnpike tolls with the sound still playing. As I was paying the fare each time, wouldn't you know that the narrator launched into sections of the book with repeated "N" references.

At the first instance I noticed the toll guard perplexedly looking over the whole car front to back, perhaps looking for KKK insignia. My quick explanation that it was only Twain's character speaking didn't appear to much register or satisfy him. I drove off feeling eyes burning into the back of my head.

By the time of reaching the next toll, I had forgotten and was almost through without incident when racist language of the mid-nineteenth century again came through the car speakers. Before I could say anything, the guard gave me a smile and said something about hoping my drive was going well. I drove away before I could learn more about what he meant.

I suppose I could have continued the exercise as a very unscientific test of modern-day American racial attitudes. But that was enough for this foolhardy fan and did remind me how current Twain's words remain in terms of impact. I'm also curious to hear how others handle public education on these matters - hopefully in fashions that exact less emotional toll than my unintentional effort.

Jon Kerr