Live singing

smemr

Mar 3, 2024, 1:10:06 AMMar 3
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Just a quick question...as I was watching a film clip of Lanza singing La Danza to a piano accompaniment (on Youtube) I thought it looked as if it were live and not pre-recorded.  Was this the case? I know these are usually pre-recorded but this short take just looked too real.

Thanks
Bob Z

Derek McGovern

Mar 3, 2024, 1:21:32 AMMar 3
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Bob:

That "La Danza" (in The Great Caruso) was pre-recorded, although I know it does look as though it's being performed live. We have the MGM recording log for it, and the original acetate can be heard on the 2022 Sepia Records CD The Undiscovered Mario Lanza. (Lanza sounds even more vibrant on the acetate, as there's no compression.)

In any event, if you watch the pianist's hands immediately before Lanza starts singing, you'll see that they're out of sync with the actual recording :)

Cheers,
Derek