Vince Di Placido's Lanza Music Videos

Derek McGovern

Dec 15, 2010, 9:50:26 PM12/15/10
to mario...@googlegroups.com
I thought it'd be a good idea to create a separate thread for announcements/comments about Vince Di Placido's magnificent Lanza music videos. To start the ball rolling, here are all the previous posts relating to these vids.

Derek McGovern

Dec 16, 2010, 1:27:40 AM12/16/10
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Finally had a chance to look at your vid of Lygia, Vince. I don't know how you did it, but you managed to make Robert Taylor seem animated!

I love the matching of "They're bright as candles" with that lingering shot of Deborah Kerr (always a very interesting actress, by the way) and "Leave the shadows behind you." Romantic stuff!

The print quality and colours were excellent, by the way, and reinforced just how ridiculous it is that The Great Caruso (also released by MGM that same year) hasn't had the same restoration treatment.

Vincent Di Placido

Dec 16, 2010, 2:33:07 PM12/16/10
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the seperate thread, Derek! You spoil me :-)
Derek, you made me laugh quite a bit with your line, "I don't know how you did it, but you managed to make Robert Taylor seem animated!"
He was a bit wooden wasn't he, he was a big favourite of my dad back in the day but he wasn't the most animated or emotional actor, he was a true matinee idol in the late 30's/early 40's, he was so handsome he didn't have to act :-)
I always liked Deborah Kerr. "Black Narcissus" is one of my favourite films.
By the way thanks Derek for noticing my silly little editing moments, nice to be appreciated...

Message has been deleted

Vincent Di Placido

Dec 16, 2010, 9:29:15 PM12/16/10
to mario...@googlegroups.com
It's been a late night but I just finished a new video...
I know as Lanza fans we can get a bit jaded with the ever present "Be My Love" but I wanted to put something together to show it in it's best light on Youtube, I like this one, it turned out nicely. I have to say Mario does some lovely singing on this, his most famous recording, I hadn't listened to it in a while & it was actually quite fresh to me again, it must have been a bolt from the blue when it was released back in 1950, such a lovely & glorious outpouring of sound from Mario... That first "Love" on the first phrase always gives me a little shiver, don't know why, it's just beautiful...

Vincent Di Placido

Dec 16, 2010, 9:32:58 PM12/16/10
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Gill! The next one will definitely be Italian :-)
I'm not sure that Lygia was a big hit, I know it was kept in print mostly because of it's inclusion on the 1958 "You do something to me" album, it was a great collection of song & arias...

Derek McGovern

Dec 16, 2010, 10:24:56 PM12/16/10
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Goodness, Vince: Mario's charisma just leaps off the screen here! Great choice of shots, and the colour has never looked better or more vibrant. Nice idea incorporating bits of the first Shower of Stars Show too (and, oddly enough, it wasn't jarring visually despite the fact that Mario's probably 40 pounds heavier there).

That was cute how you matched "There'll be no one but you for me" (the first time round) with Mario's counting of the arms on that ornament-thingy on the mantelpiece :)

Another triumph!

Jan Hodges

Dec 17, 2010, 12:11:20 AM12/17/10
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Be my Love a bolt from the blue? You never spoke a truer word Vince ! I was a tender 13 year old fan of the Hit Parade and after a plethora of Guy Mitchell and Rosemary Clooney to hear this voice left me "gob smacked" and with goose bumps. When I heard the final note I don't think I closed my mouth for a good five minutes. This set me off on a venture into classical music and singing. Thank you Mario. And thank you once again Vince for your wonderful compilations. I have downloaded them all'
Jan

Vince Di Placido

Dec 18, 2010, 7:58:02 PM12/18/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi, everybody! I just did a quick bit of editing on a song that I
played this morning a couple of times & to be honest it practically
edited itself :-)
I'm really enjoying these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jin0s5HJAQg

After this Gill the next one will be Italian... :-)

Derek McGovern

Dec 19, 2010, 2:31:37 AM12/19/10
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vince: I can see you had fun with that one! Sarita's appearance with "Whenever you appear, dear" and the storm scene for "Now your lips on mine" made me smile. Nice job of synchronizing the final note too!

I've just realized I never included your music video of Song of India in my first post. Here's that link in case anyone missed it:

Cheers
Derek

Vincent Di Placido

Dec 19, 2010, 10:11:01 AM12/19/10
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Derek, I do like that song & Mario is on fire. The trickiest part was cutting out the video of the syllable "NADE" out of Mario's last line in the film "our sereNADE of love" & slowing it down, worked out ok...
I do love Sarita, what a beautiful woman, I found a very funny photo of someone posing with one of her album covers...

Vincent Di Placido

Dec 19, 2010, 7:26:37 PM12/19/10
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for including "Song of India", Derek & just to be a completist, I thought I would post the link to "Passione", what a beautiful song & a stunning performance! One of Mario's masterpieces :-)

Vincent Di Placido

Dec 20, 2010, 4:52:42 PM12/20/10
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick update the "Che Gelida Manina" link is now...
(I had to fix something that was bothering me so there was a new upload...)

Vicki

Dec 22, 2010, 12:27:07 AM12/22/10
to mario...@googlegroups.com
This is so beautiful. Thank you for posting. You made my day.

Lover of Grand Voices

Dec 30, 2010, 1:30:53 PM12/30/10
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thank you Vince for taking so much time and effort to make this
contribution to the Lanza audio visual library. I read some of the
comments in You Tube and everyone is grateful, as am I. Happy New
Year to you and all our friends, Emilio

On Dec 20, 9:52 pm, Vincent Di Placido <vincent.diplac...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Just a quick update the *"Che Gelida Manina"* link is now...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOPvS5mYX70

Vincent Di Placido

Jan 1, 2011, 7:28:46 PM1/1/11
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Here is a video focusing on Mario's impressive 1950 recording of Andrea Chenier's Improvviso

Derek McGovern

Jan 2, 2011, 12:20:25 AM1/2/11
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Well, that was entertaining, Vince! It must have taken you ages to put it together. Very clever how you matched the angry "bestemmiando" (swearing) bit with Mario gesticulating to Alfredo in The Great Caruso. Then there was the matching of "Ecco la bellezza..." ("Here is the beauty...") with the shot of Mario caressing Johanna Von Koczian's face in FTFT. Ha!

You must have had to rack your brains to think of a film scene in which Lanza ends a song or aria with "amor" :)

Many thanks, Vince!
Derek

Vincent Di Placido

Jan 3, 2011, 10:53:22 PM1/3/11
to mario...@googlegroups.com
I have always loved Mario's recording of "Never Till Now" one of Johnny Green's themes from the score of "Raintree County" with lyrics by Paul Francis Webster. Mario's reprise on "Somehow I wasn't aware that life was so beautiful" is sublime.
I remember seeing the film starring Montgomery Clift (one of my favourite actors), Elizabeth Taylor & Eve Marie Saint many years ago & enjoyed hearing the "Never Till Now" theme throughout the film. I couldn't resist using Mario's recording as a soundtrack to some images from this 1957 MGM film.

Derek McGovern

Jan 4, 2011, 6:51:25 AM1/4/11
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vince: I'm a huge fan of Montgomery Clift (truly one of the finest film actors the US has produced), so it was very nice to see this.

Naturally, I couldn't help thinking of the sad parallels between Clift's life and Lanza's: two incredibly gifted and sensitive men born little more than three months apart, neither of whom ever truly recovered from events that occurred while at the peak of their respective careers.

Vincent Di Placido

Jan 10, 2011, 10:48:21 AM1/10/11
to mario...@googlegroups.com
I was listening to Mario's 2nd, English, recording of "Arrivederci Roma" & thought I'd put some visuals to this lovely recording...

Derek McGovern

Jan 11, 2011, 5:22:04 AM1/11/11
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Another lovely job, Vince! (I'm surprised so few of our members have been commenting on your video efforts.) Nice synchronization with the film Arrivederci Roma, and I loved the way you edited the various shots of Mario strolling through Rome. (I've always liked that brief night scene, incidentally, when he's walking reflectively along the Tiber. Nice atmosphere.) And having Mario applaud at the end was a cute touch!

It's interesting seeing his weight fluctuations in this Seven Hills montage. He obviously filmed all his scenes with Peggie Castle (Carol) when he was at his heaviest -- in the earlier stages of shooting.

Cheers
Derek

Michael McAdam

Jan 11, 2011, 8:48:12 AM1/11/11
to mario...@googlegroups.com
I think so few here have been commenting on Vince's crafty video montages because the young Paddy has been so ultra-prolific of late that we are likely 'boggled' and are only slowly (between jobs) getting to his posts containing these clever compilations (I still haven't advanced past that marvelous 'Song of India' clip. I keep going back to it)
Rest assured, Vince, as a techno-geek myself, you certainly are aware I am wowed by your video cobblings but.....you are competing with Angela Gheorgiu  right now as I am (temporarily?) besotted with her. That's what happens when you put the old country boy on Hi-Speed Internet. Download Mania sets in ;-))

BTW, my choice of cuts for I'll Walk With God on the CD I sent you must have made you nod and say "yeah, that's the one!". I see you recently put this Cathedral clip from the film on YouTube (the film is so well-photographed isn't it? What a pity our boy couldn't have been in it).
Keep up the great stuff, Vincent.

Cheers, Mike

Michael McAdam

Jan 11, 2011, 9:01:01 AM1/11/11
to mario...@googlegroups.com
P.S: I chuckled at the closing footage of Mario applauding himself for the lovely job on the song ;-)
Mario's diminuendo at song's end is a little ragged isn't it? Derek and others commented previously on that.
Your choice of clips here was very good, Vince and boy, Mario's weight fluctuation is s-o-o evident in that 'Come Dance With Me' snippet where he's wearing the blue suit, da?

gary from NS

Jan 11, 2011, 10:00:19 AM1/11/11
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vince et al.

Another terrific video to view and listen to. What a talent Vince.

I loved Mario applauding at the end,as well he should.

Cheers
Gary
Message has been deleted

leeann

Jan 11, 2011, 12:26:34 PM1/11/11
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Dear Vince, like others, I'm behind and looking forward to a snowy day, headphones, a cup of coffee, and watching your wonderful work. I love Never 'Til Now and your work with it.  The closeups of facial expressions are magnificent. Thanks! Lee Ann

Vincent Di Placido

Jan 11, 2011, 12:32:49 PM1/11/11
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Aw! Shuks lads! You are too kind. Derek, you hold great sway, one word & everybody comments :-) Only joking, it's nice to get feedback but I understand not everybody can make the time, as long as you are watching & enjoying them that's fine with me.
Yes! Mike that ending is a bit rough, definitely re-take territory there but as we know too well Mario was not always willing (although definitely able) to do a re-take when necessary. It's almost as if on that last note on "Heart" that Mario hadn't made his mind up what he was going to do exactly, he doesn't handle the diminuendo well which is a shame (Di Stefano excelled in these moments)
I still love this recording, Mario is in good voice as we know from the other recordings from this session, "Never Till Now" & a remake of "Younger Than Springtime" & has some lovely moments...
I couldn't resist Mario applauding at the end, as you say, Derek, very cute :-)

Vincent Di Placido

Jan 15, 2011, 8:22:03 PM1/15/11
to mario...@googlegroups.com
A little film of Mario's Ave Maria...

Derek McGovern

Jan 15, 2011, 11:07:00 PM1/15/11
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Seamlessly edited and very touching, Vince. And that's from someone who much prefers the Serenade version of the Schubert "Ave Maria" to the rendition you've used here!

Coincidentally, I found out just today -- courtesy of some press clippings that I'd received from Lee Ann -- that Mario actually sang another Schubert composition, the famous "Serenade," at a concert in 1949. This was at the annual spring concert of the Marshall Field & Co. Choral Society on 22 April 1949. According to reviewer Seymour Raven of the Chicago Daily Tribune, Lanza was neither faithful to Schubert nor familiar with the music:

"The sensible approach was lacking . . . in Lanza's joint effort with the chorus in Schubert's 'Serenade.' While the group was doing its share confidently from memory, Lanza was grimly leafing his sheet music, only to roll it up triumphantly for a closing high note that Schubert never wrote."

Ha! Naughty Mario!

Still, the reviewer liked him, praising his "great talent" and declaring that, "Neither we nor anyone else could have come away from the concert with anything less than a conviction that he has a golden voice of strength and brilliance that comes near moistening your eye with the hope of what it could grow to be."

Cheers
Derek

Vincent Di Placido

Jan 16, 2011, 7:50:50 AM1/16/11
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hello Derek! I prefer the 1955 Ave Maria as well BUT it was filmed beautifully & exists as a little film itself & I've always wanted to put visuals to ALL of Mario's 1958 recording as he only sings parts of it on screen in "For The First Time" as you know of course :-)
As regards Mario's 1949 Schubert Serenade performance, naughty Mario is right :-) I still would love to hear it though... It's a beautiful song!

Vincent Di Placido

Jan 19, 2011, 6:52:09 PM1/19/11
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Mario Lanza's "A Kiss" with a bit of inspiration from one one of my favourite films, "Cinema Paradiso"...

Derek McGovern

Jan 19, 2011, 7:38:33 PM1/19/11
to mario...@googlegroups.com
I love Cinema Paradiso too, Vince (and can never make up my mind whether I prefer the shorter version that most people know, or the more obscure & much longer original version). You did a great job in blending the kiss clips from that film with Lanza's, and I loved the fact that you included the kiss from Snow White for "the reason storybooks must end with a kiss" line :) Very cute!

You know, while listening to Mario's singing here, it struck me that his voice has seldom been better recorded -- or sounded more breathtakingly beautiful -- than it does here. And listen to what he does with this song! Could anyone else make such awful lyrics as "That's kissing's fun/ we know/ But time will show/ it's much more than this" actually work? Talk about vocal alchemy! There's some lovely lovely phrasing in this song ("two willing lips can tell," etc). And vocally, it's no mean feat either. I'd like to hear any other tenor try the climactic line "It all dePENDS on whom you kiss" -- very tricky stuff indeed!

Cheers
Derek

Derek McGovern

Oct 6, 2013, 10:35:03 PM10/6/13
I thought I'd duplicate Vince's latest post here, since it fits in nicely with this existing thread.

And Vince: that's great news! Now that you've got the film clips running at the right speed, I'll be able to use your much-superior versions of Because, the Otello Monologue, etc in the embedded clips from YouTube on our main site

Cheers
Derek

Vincent Di Placido  6 October 2013

                I have uploaded some new versions of some of the Lanza film clips I had put on Youtube, better resolution & aspect ratios & also correct pitch now that I am not using PAL versions.
I thought I'd post the links here just for reference...

Because - http://youtu.be/Qp7LIQ6tqyg

Beloved - http://youtu.be/zw7bNOi6ZUM

Come Prima - http://youtu.be/UUb9sz1XGEg

Deep in My Heart Dear - http://youtu.be/rGf758oM5aQ

Di Rigori Armato – Amor Ti Vieta - http://youtu.be/LGgSwmehjzQ

Dio Mi Potevi - http://youtu.be/F7HXVRZqSU8

Drink. Drink, Drink! - http://youtu.be/y1bficWrjgc

Voi Ridete - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn2oHrVyEjE

Golden Days - http://youtu.be/4YoWXdZB6oI

Granada - http://youtu.be/cWXNSlZU0Us

I’ll Walk With God - http://youtu.be/_OQ2Cc6yFz4

Lamento di Federico - http://youtu.be/KKU3XEtUEGI

Niun Mi Tema - http://youtu.be/_FwNvoNM86A

Paradiso - http://youtu.be/657ZZ3fXAyM

O Sole Mio - http://youtu.be/1X27O50Xq4U

Serenade “The Student Prince” - http://youtu.be/5pjEWzgz8zU

Summertime in Heidelberg - http://youtu.be/NCiaR_cz6Yo

The Lord’s Prayer – http://youtu.be/4a3ZzPDvWDE

Vesti La Giubba 1951 – http://youtu.be/-vDLTcheSBQ

Vesti La Giubba 1958 - http://youtu.be/rRhmogBs-gU

Vucchella - http://youtu.be/h_Vo1RQwkNc

Celeste Aida - http://youtu.be/FZAgkjfg94s

Flower Song - http://youtu.be/orKx5UDpDck

La Danza - http://youtu.be/Dvp0B6-XI1M

La Donna e Mobile - http://youtu.be/9xVic0_Eo48

Libiamo - http://youtu.be/8XFhi29A2e4

Mamma Mia, Che Vo’ Sape - http://youtu.be/YPZtTj4bGfI

O Terra Addio - http://youtu.be/6A419ZTGm-w

Una Furtiva Lagrima - http://youtu.be/8Qaq4KMXDPU

Vogliatemi Bene - http://youtu.be/KAeQkyNgGDk

Vincent Di Placido

Oct 7, 2013, 4:34:10 AM10/7/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hello Derek! Thank you for the housekeeping I forgot that you created this thread for YouTube videos...
I'll try get a few more up, there are far too many dodgy versions on Youtube (I include my original uploads which I have deleted, it was heartbreaking because of so many beautiful comments, I'm not exaggerating when I say it almost moved me to tears to delete them...) Mario deserves the best versions to be up there...

Vincent Di Placido

Oct 7, 2013, 6:34:36 PM10/7/13

a few more uploads...

Addio Addio - http://youtu.be/qpVIly4ZoE8

Addio alla Madre - http://youtu.be/2a61qa-2tAg

Ave Maria – Serenade - http://youtu.be/zl3fGCSlYa0

Ave Maria – The Great Caruso - http://youtu.be/L8kvYYkTyec

Che Gelida Manina - http://youtu.be/tbsIdA_5NPo

Chi Mi Frena In Tal Momento - http://youtu.be/WuNUs3Z7f9A

Ergo Bibamus - http://youtu.be/El46yMynlpU

Marta Finale - http://youtu.be/uJ5gwu102yE

Mattinata - http://youtu.be/FBrSDOt8-Ro

My Destiny - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKwPUc2BLCo

Operatic Montage 1 - http://youtu.be/res12vC2xSU

Operatic Montage 2 - http://youtu.be/qrzJylLjRSU

Serenade – Soft Version - http://youtu.be/Uguj0ytXHJw

The Song Angels Sing – http://youtu.be/cqXAIQC4pNs

Torna a Surriento – Soft Version - http://youtu.be/MzJd3_SRGOk

Torna a Surriento - http://youtu.be/RW9WGF__rCA

Derek McGovern

Oct 9, 2013, 5:57:56 AM10/9/13
Hi Vince: You've certainly kept me busy updating the links to your YouTube videos on our main site and re-embedding them in many cases :) We have about 130 pages, and you'd be surprised by how many of your clips are tucked away on this page or that.

Anyway, the new clips look magnificent, and I'm so pleased to be able to feature the likes of "Granada" and "The Lord's Prayer" from Because You're Mine---at the right speed at last and in the best possible quality---on pages like this and this. Unfortunately, many of the Lanza film clips on YouTube are at the wrong speed, and being sped up by a semitone (as happens on European and Australasian broadcasts and video releases) certainly robs Mario's voice of its natural resonance, particularly in the cases of The Great Caruso and Because You're Mine. So I hope your clips quickly become the versions of choice for YouTube users! Besides, I doubt that anyone clicking on, say, your clip of the Otello Death Scene has ever seen better picture quality for a Lanza film on YouTube :)

The great thing about having these clips embedded on various pages on our site is that for anyone unfamiliar with Lanza who happens to land on one of them, they instantly help to explain what all the fuss was about!

Cheers
Derek

leeann

Oct 9, 2013, 5:29:44 PM10/9/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!  Lee Ann

Vincent Di Placido

Oct 9, 2013, 6:28:08 PM10/9/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com

It's just great to have these clips in such good quality, it annoys me to see some of the dodgy sound & picture clips of Mario on Youtube.

Derek, the Mario Lanza, Tenor site is amazing, yourself & Lee Ann have done incredible work, it's such an honour to help in any way with such a great tribute to our Mario.

Vincent Di Placido

Oct 12, 2013, 2:54:36 PM10/12/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com

Celeste Aida “That Midnight Kiss” - http://youtu.be/YJ8GbDpPT1k

I Know, I Know, I Know – http://youtu.be/TTuFrpqErjA

Love is Music – http://youtu.be/ZXS269nKqCo

Triumphal March - http://youtu.be/nD_5aLAUKMQ

Derek McGovern

Aug 10, 2020, 4:10:15 AM8/10/20
to mario...@googlegroups.com
VIDEO #1: VOGLIATEMI BENE (Hollywood Bowl, 1947)

Mario Lanza and Frances Yeend live at the Hollywood Bowl, 28 August 1947.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

VIDEO #2: SILENT NIGHT (Coke, 1951)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_55y7UOiBQ

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

Derek McGovern
Dec 3, 5:04 pm

Very nicely done, Vince! I especially liked the beginning, with Mario looking reflectively into the mirror -- quite poignant, actually.

Cheers
Derek

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

Jan Hodges
Dec 3, 6:27 pm

Beautifully done Vince.... I loved the pics that you chose of Mario when he was looking young and healthy.
Jan

VIDEO #3:  THINE ALONE (Hollywood Bowl, 1948)

Vincent Di Placido
Dec 10

Hi! I know it is a flawed performance, mostly because of Miklós Rózsa's slow tempo dragging at Mario & Kathryn but I have always had a soft spot for their Hollywood Bowl performance of Victor Herbert's "Thine Alone". I love the song & the first version I heard was this 1948 live performance. I tried to do this little film years ago but with a better copy of That Midnight Kiss & better editing it has turned out well I think...

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Derek McGovern
Dec 10

Hi Vince: To be honest, I've probably only ever listened to that performance two or three times in my life. Hearing it for the first time as a teenager (before I'd even seen That Midnight Kiss or Toast
of New Orleans), I just couldn't get past Kathryn Grayson's voice, which I found incredibly grating! (And that final note of hers -- aargh!) To this day, I can't understand what her many admirers hear in
her. Is it sentimental attachment because she co-starred in Mario's first two films, or are they blinded by her looks?

But she certainly was attractive, as your beautifully edited clip shows. She's particularly stunning in her red dress at the two-minute mark, and I can appreciate why MGM matched her with Mario. Yes, visually, they do make a beautiful couple, and I love the colours and lighting that Norman Taurog used here to enhance their romantic aura.

Ah, Miklos Rozsa and his slow tempi! It's a pity he wasn't used on the Coke Shows or on some of Lanza's 1950 RCA operatic recordings, where the tempo was far too fast :) Rozsa would never have allowed a galloping Questa o Quella or a frantic Flower Song!

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Norma
Dec 13

Thanks a million for the youtube of Mario and Kathleen Grayson singing Thine Alone.The shots from That Midnight Kiss fit beautifully.

Norma

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
VIDEO #4: LYGIA

Vincent Di Placido
Dec 16

Following on from the Miklós Rózsa theme I worked on Mario's recording of his "Lygia" theme from "Quo Vadis". Mario does some lovely things with this song & I have always liked this performance. I have had this idea in my head since I was a young boy, nice to have it done finally...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqmB5lnpDyg

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Jan Hodges

Dec 16, 11:23 am

That video of Lygia was absolutely beautiful Vince. Thanks for all the other videos you have done as well.
Jan

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Derek McGovern

Aug 10, 2020, 4:36:56 AM8/10/20
to mario...@googlegroups.com
I see that Vince has been at it again! :)

He's compiled all of Lanza's film trailers into one convenient, chronologically organized collection:

Just a few scattered thoughts:

1) The trailer to That Midnight Kiss is certainly very effective in building up Mario! And it's not every day that a trailer includes the film's closing shots :)

2) The best thing about the trailer for Toast of New Orleans is the footage from That Midnight Kiss! In every other respect, it's disappointing, with poor choices of musical selections and very disjointed editing. This one really dumbs down the film. MGM needed a Vince to work on it!

3) I loved the original trailer to The Great Caruso. What a contrast to the Toast trailer! And as a bonus, Vince has included a reissue trailer that is quite unlike any other Lanza film trailer (pity about the very obvious splice we hear on the Celeste Aida that closes it, though!).

4) The Because You're Mine trailer is different from the one that I grew up with (that version included Granada and also a number of shots that weren't actually in the movie). So-so musical choices, and too much Bobby Van! :)

5) The Serenade trailer is quite something! While I wish the makers hadn't highlighted the bleary, strained Serenade that ends the film, it's a cleverly edited trailer (favourite moments: going from the sustained high A that ends La Danza and straight into Otello, plus the dramatically inserted lightning). And what a great idea to begin with the ending to O Paradiso.

6) And the award for lying on a Trumpian scale goes to the Seven Hills of Rome trailer, with its claim that the film contains "dozens and dozens" of songs :)

Great work, Vince!

Steff Walzinger

Aug 10, 2020, 6:50:14 AM8/10/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi Derek,

Let's give me a quick thought on one of the two films you skipped, which is "For the First Time."
I am surprised that the movies' official trailer completely leaves out the opera scenes, that actually almost make up the majority of the film, compared to the "lighter repertoire." (Or am I wrong?).
The German trailer, on the contrary, is much longer (double length) and includes the opera sequences, as it should be. And this is why I find its "advertising effect" much more successful than that of the short American version - especially with all the "headlines" that show up. There's more of Johanna von Koczian than in the American trailer, who rather focuses on Zsa Zsa Gabor who, of course, was, unlike Johanna, well known in America. And the trailer ends with the Aida scene:

Steff

Derek McGovern

Aug 10, 2020, 8:33:23 AM8/10/20
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steff: The fact that the US For the First Time trailer left out the opera scenes suggests that MGM was pitching the film at a different audience than was the case in Germany. Marcia Landy in Stars, The Film Reader (2004) even argues that the film was "an obvious bid to a young audience as reflected by the on-screen teenage audience":

Marcia Landy.png

I'm not sure that I entirely agree with her. In the marketing of the film to English-speaking audiences, perhaps, yes, but the actual film itself has enough opera to suggest it was aimed not just at teenagers (who might usually run a mile at the thought of an aria from, say, Otello), but also at seasoned music lovers.

Anyway, good on the Germans for producing a much more representative trailer of the film's musical content!

Steff Walzinger

Aug 10, 2020, 9:48:33 AM8/10/20
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hi Derek,

Pardon me, but this sounds like the analysis of a psychiatrist! Landy sees things and reads more in the plot than a general/average viewer - who just wants to enjoy an - if only trivial - story,  would do ("consistent with rebelliousness" - What about Mario's rebelliousness in "The Toast of New Orleans"?). "Troubled with masculanity," (this might apply to his role in "Serenade") - Goodness!!! Is she real? If I had the chance to ask her some questions, I first would like her to explain to me, why the film has so many opera scenes. "Hence, the emphasis on opera is more restraint." - Are you sure Landy watched the same film as we did?
If one would not know the film, one would think, based on her remarks, that here we have to deal with a socio critical drama, However, I am surprised that Landy did not notice the self-irony in the film (for example, Mario joking with his weight problems - he standing on the scales or pouring all the parmigiano on the spaghetti).
As for the German trailer and its length, I tend to believe that it was owed to the fact that it was Mario's first German film. Certainly a sensation combined with the great hope that there was more to come.

Steff

Message has been deleted

Derek McGovern

Aug 28, 2020, 11:33:26 PM8/28/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
If you haven't already caught up with Vince's two most recent music videos, here are links to these unmissable gems:

1) Favourite Mario Moments: Lanza's Vocal Poetry

This is a deeply moving compilation of some of Lanza's most exquisite phrasing:

2) The Ultimate "Vesti la Giubba" Duel: Lanza vs. Lanza

Here Vince offers a chance to compare the 1950 Great Caruso rendition of "Vesti la Giubba" with the 1958 For the First Time rendition---and he does so in his usual highly creative way:

Enjoy!!!

Derek McGovern

Aug 29, 2020, 12:06:18 AM8/29/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Steff wrote:

Pardon me, but this sounds like the analysis of a psychiatrist! Landy sees things and reads more in the plot than a general/average viewer - who just wants to enjoy an - if only trivial - story,  would do ("consistent with rebelliousness" - What about Mario's rebelliousness in "The Toast of New Orleans"?). "Troubled with masculinity," (this might apply to his role in "Serenade") - Goodness!!! Is she real? If I had the chance to ask her some questions, I first would like her to explain to me, why the film has so many opera scenes. "Hence, the emphasis on opera is more restraint." - Are you sure Landy watched the same film as we did?
If one would not know the film, one would think, based on her remarks, that here we have to deal with a socio critical drama, However, I am surprised that Landy did not notice the self-irony in the film (for example, Mario joking with his weight problems - he standing on the scales or pouring all the parmigiano on the spaghetti).

Sorry for the delay in replying to you, Steff.

Yes, Landy certainly gets a bit carried away here. True, Lanza's character in For the First Time is no longer "a worker to be discovered," but that's hardly surprising given that he's visibly approaching middle age. Apart from Serenade (and, even in this film, some critics complained that he was already too old to be discovered), Mario hadn't played the young worker who gets a lucky break since The Great Caruso. And, as you say, "rebelliousness" pops up in his other films as well---arguably all of them!---while "troubled masculinity" is definitely part of his character in Serenade.

I think Landy is right to a point that Seven Hills and For the First Time, with the mock-Calypso "There's Gonna Be a Party Tonight" and Imitation sequence in the former, and "Come Prima" and "Pineapple Pickers" in the latter, represent a conscious attempt by the film-makers to appeal to teenagers. But given the amount of opera also included in FTFT, I agree that it's ridiculous of her to claim that operatic content is restrained in the film. She should have made that claim about the opera-lite Seven Hills instead!

Also, as far as Mario's character being relatively "subdued" in FTFT is concerned, I think that has more to do with the man himself than the way the character of Tony Costa was written. Lanza was tired when he made the film, and it shows in many of the scenes.

Cheers,
Derek

Derek McGovern

Aug 29, 2020, 11:50:47 PM8/29/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Vince has just created another stunning (and extremely moving) video:

Raphaela & Mario Lanza: Love & Friendship

Victoria Bigelow

Aug 30, 2020, 12:21:33 AM8/30/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
This is beautiful. Thank you.

Vicki Bigelow, Ann Arbor, MI, USA

On Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 9:50:26 PM UTC-5 Derek McGovern wrote:
I thought it'd be a good idea to create a separate thread for announcements/comments about Vince Di Placido's magnificent Lanza music videos. To start the ball rolling, here are all the previous posts relating to these vids.

Vincent Di Placido

Aug 30, 2020, 5:27:21 AM8/30/20
to mario...@googlegroups.com
I'm so glad that my wee Lanza films are being enjoyed & appreciated. Thank you so much Derek for featuring them & sharing links.
Here is something I put together last week, I've always loved these 2 performances of Cole Porter's "Begin the Beguine" & I finally got around to putting them together, with some (hopefully) subtle editing & changes in speed of the dancing performance it kind of came together as a new performance, for me at least, it's a thing of beauty for the eyes & ears.

Norma Lynch

Aug 31, 2020, 6:25:07 AM8/31/20
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Thank you  to Vince for all his lovely videos.I loved the one where he is rehearsing.I did not think there were any more recordings that I had not heard.Unfortunately I am unable to find it again so please could you point me in the right direction.

Sent from my iPad.                                                                            Norma

On 10 Aug 2020, at 09:36, Derek McGovern <derek.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

I see that Vince has been at it again! :)

He's compiled all of Lanza's film trailers into one convenient, chronologically organized collection:

Just a few scattered thoughts:

1) The trailer to That Midnight Kiss is certainly very effective in building up Mario! And it's not every day that a trailer includes the film's closing shots :)

2) The best thing about the trailer for Toast of New Orleans is the footage from That Midnight Kiss! In every other respect, it's disappointing, with poor choices of musical selections and very disjointed editing. This one really dumbs down the film. MGM needed a Vince to work on this one!

[...]

Vincent Di Placido

Aug 31, 2020, 7:38:28 AM8/31/20
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hi! Norma,  I'm glad you're enjoying the videos. I think you are looking for a link to "Confounding the Enemy"
here it is...

Message has been deleted

Vincent Di Placido

Sep 13, 2020, 4:02:40 AM9/13/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Hi! Everybody, here is a new Lanza project I've been working on,  a film about Mario's vocal development from enthusiastic teenager to polished professional. The origin story of the greatest tenor voice of all-time.

Vincent Di Placido

Nov 12, 2020, 4:27:26 PM11/12/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Here are the links to a few new videos I have been working on lately:

Lanza's Influence & Legacy

Mario Lanza "Funiculì Funiculà" - Isolated Vocal Track

Mario Lanza "Voce 'e Notte" - Isolated Vocal Track

Mario Lanza Sings Enrico Caruso's Serenata "Memories of a Concert" with Lyrics & Translation.
Message has been deleted

Vincent Di Placido

Nov 18, 2020, 12:45:21 PM11/18/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
A new video.

Mario Lanza "A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody" Live Radio 1946, aged 24.

Emilio iodice

Nov 20, 2020, 8:57:21 AM11/20/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Congratulations Vince and thank you.  All the best, Emilio

Emilio Iodice

Author of the new International Best Seller, The Commander in Chief: The Qualities Needed of Leaders of Freedom Loving Nations, Lessons from American Presidential History

http://www.iodicebooks.com/

“I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.”

Etienne de Grellet, Quaker Missionary

"You can't win today's games with yesterday's home runs."

“You can never defeat a person who never gives up.”

George Herman "Babe" Ruth, American Baseball player.

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars and change the world." Harriet Tubman

"And you shall know the truth and the truth will make you free." John 8:32

On Wednesday, 18 November 2020, 11:03:08 CET, Vincent Di Placido <vincent....@gmail.com> wrote:

A new video...

Mario Lanza - A Pretty Girl is Like a Melody - Live Radio 1946

Vincent Di Placido

Nov 26, 2020, 7:06:06 PM11/26/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
A new video.

A Mario Lanza Christmas Celebration

Emilio iodice

Nov 27, 2020, 3:07:07 AM11/27/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Dear Vince:  Thank you for another splendid tribute to Mario and all those who love him.

Regards, Emilio

Emilio Iodice

Wall Street Journal Number One Best Selling Author including the new International Best Seller, The Commander in Chief: The Qualities Needed of Leaders of Freedom Loving Nations, Lessons from American Presidential History

http://www.iodicebooks.com/

“I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.”

Etienne de Grellet, Quaker Missionary

"You can't win today's games with yesterday's home runs."

“You can never defeat a person who never gives up.”

George Herman "Babe" Ruth, American Baseball player.

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars and change the world." Harriet Tubman

"And you shall know the truth and the truth will make you free." John 8:32

Vincent Di Placido

Nov 28, 2020, 3:22:02 PM11/28/20
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a million Emilio! I'm glad you're enjoying the Lanza Youtube material.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Mario Lanza, Tenor" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mariolanza/1241015155.2031792.1606464425541%40mail.yahoo.com.

Vincent Di Placido

Dec 15, 2020, 4:15:27 PM12/15/20
to Mario Lanza, Tenor