New Lanza CD from Sepia Records: "The Undiscovered Mario Lanza: Rare Recordings and Hidden Gems"

Derek McGovern

Feb 9, 2022, 12:00:14 AM2/9/22
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
I'm thrilled to announce that next month Sepia Records will be releasing its tenth CD collaboration with forum members Armando Cesari, Vince Di Placido, Carmel Parisi, and yours truly.

Full details can be read at our website here, but in the meantime here's a description of the CD from my liner notes:

"To call this CD The Undiscovered Mario Lanza is no exaggeration, for virtually every track contains a revelation of some kind. This compilation includes never-before-heard complete versions of four popular arias; a previously unknown extended version of the Rigoletto Quartet scene from The Great Caruso; a superb outtake of “My Destiny” that few Lanza aficionados even knew existed; and—for the first time on CD—the original acetates of material recorded by the tenor for five of his films. While allowances should be made at times for the archival nature of these recordings, many of which have required major sound restoration, the beauty, power, and dynamic range of Lanza’s voice render any surface noise inconsequential."

Steff Walzinger

Feb 9, 2022, 4:34:06 AM2/9/22
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Congratulations, Derek, to the upcoming 10th Sepia release!

The tenth release (since 2015, I think?)?!! Yes, indeed, and what an achievement! I am sure the - genuine - fans will be thrilled and will appreciate all your efforts, which are a true labour of love for "our Mario." I am sure that not many fans would be aware of what it takes to bring such a project to fruition.

I can only echo, what you stated: "I doubt that anyone who loves Lanza will complain." Even if you were referring to the sound quality of some tracks on the CD, I think
this statement has to apply to this release in general. All fans should be happy, that with a CD such as this Mario's flame continues burning and the legend goes on!

Congratulations to all that have been involved, especially my dear friends Derek, Armando, Carmel & Vince!

Steff

Vincent Di Placido

Feb 9, 2022, 7:44:45 AM2/9/22
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Great news! I know the effort that you go to Derek, it is above and beyond.
What great tributes to Mario you have presented over these 10 Sepia releases.
Oh! Great post, Steff!
We really appreciate you Derek, the Lanza world is exceptionally fortunate to have you!

Message has been deleted

quigle...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2022, 1:41:53 PM2/10/22
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Great and wonderful news! All the Sepia CDs have been stellar. Sincere thanks to all who work so hard and with heart on them.

Damien

Derek McGovern

Feb 11, 2022, 5:43:00 AM2/11/22
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Many thanks to Steff, Vince, and Damien!

I'd also like to thank Verna, another member of this forum. Until today I wasn't aware that the stunning cover photo of the new CD (beautifully colourised by Sepia Records' designer) was originally posted on Facebook by Verna. When I saw the photo for the first time last year, after a friend sent it, I immediately thought it would make a great cover pic---and so it has. Thank you, Verna!

Undiscovered Mario.jpg

 If you'd like to see the previous nine Sepia Records CDs that we've worked on since the first in 2015, please click here.

Cheers,
Derek

Tony Partington

Feb 13, 2022, 8:08:37 AM2/13/22
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hi Derek,

Wonderful news! How exciting. I cannot wait to hear it.

All the best,

Tony

--
To reply to this message, please go to: https://groups.google.com/g/mariolanza
---

Tony Partington
Singer's Spotlight Productions, LLC
34 South Bayshore Drive, Magnolia Bluff
Eastpoint, FL 32328
Studio: 952.491.0131
Mobile: 952.239.7330

Derek McGovern

Feb 13, 2022, 8:12:52 AM2/13/22
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thanks, Tony---and I suspect it won't be the last Sepia Records CD either! :)

Cheers,
Derek

Vincent Di Placido

Feb 14, 2022, 4:42:51 AM2/14/22
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Here is a promo film I have made to profile this fascinating new release.

Derek McGovern

Feb 14, 2022, 5:46:47 AM2/14/22
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
I do urge everyone to watch Vince's promo (in the link posted above) for the new Sepia Records CD, as it's an amazingly creative and inspiring little video. Even though I've been involved with this CD project since last May, and obviously know these recordings intimately now, I was thrilled all over again as I listened to the extracts Vince had selected (and accompanied with some very clever visuals).

As you know, none of us at this forum receives a cent for our involvement with these CDs, but if Sepia Records were to pay a video production company to make a promo for this release, it's inconceivable that any so-called professional could dream of approaching what Vince has achieved here.

Derek

Steff Walzinger

Feb 14, 2022, 6:04:49 AM2/14/22
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Vince,

Another brilliant masterpiece from you!
And what better place than You-tube to spread the news of this coming Sepia release, and to reach Lanza fans - hopefully also some "rookies"  - all over the world!
Excitement all around!
Please keep on the good work!

Steff

Derek McGovern

Feb 14, 2022, 11:27:14 PM2/14/22
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Just an update for those interested in purchasing this CD:

This CD will be available from Sepia Records' website in early March. It will be listed initially as a "forthcoming release," although it will actually be ready for immediate delivery once it appears there. This will probably be the cheapest (and certainly the fastest) option for those outside of the US.

Amazon and the other usual online sellers are expected to stock the CD from April 1st.

For those in the US, the CD will also be available from the Mario Lanza Museum in Philadelphia. Bill Ronayne, President of the Mario Lanza Institute, writes: "The new Sepia CD will be available at the Mario Lanza Museum in late March/early April. We are now taking pre-orders (USA only). The CD is $12 + $5 Shipping & Handling. Checks should be made out to Mario Lanza Institute and sent to Mario Lanza Institute 1214 Reed Street Philadelphia, PA 19147. For credit card orders, more information or if you're ordering more than one CD, call 215-238-9691."

Tony Partington

Feb 15, 2022, 6:26:37 PM2/15/22
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Wow! Wouldn't that be a dream come true!!!

--
To reply to this message, please go to: https://groups.google.com/g/mariolanza
---

rxxre eves

Feb 17, 2022, 5:41:31 AM2/17/22
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Now available for preorder at Amazon.  £7.99 post free on Amazon Prime.

Derek McGovern

Mar 4, 2022, 8:00:59 AM3/4/22
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Sepia Records now has the CD The Undiscovered Mario Lanza in stock and available for immediate delivery:

https://sepiarecords.com/sepia1371.html

The price including postage is £7.99 for the UK; £9.99 for elsewhere in Europe; and £10.99 for the rest of the world.

Derek

rxxre eves

Mar 8, 2022, 9:29:06 AM3/8/22
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
I've just finished playing it.  Many thanks to all those whose hard work and dedication made the release possible.

Derek McGovern

Apr 12, 2022, 7:36:39 PM4/12/22
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
I've just heard from Sepia Records that The Undiscovered Mario Lanza has entered this week's Billboard Traditional Classical Albums chart at #15. An amazing achievement for an artist who died in 1959, and surely proof that there is still considerable interest in Lanza.

Derek

Steff Walzinger

Apr 13, 2022, 3:29:48 PM4/13/22
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Fantastic news, Derek, and so well deserved! A wonderful achievement for Mario and all of you, who made this beautiful release possible.
The legend lives on!

Steff