Re: The missing scene?

Message has been deleted

Derek McGovern

May 28, 2024, 11:24:40 AMMay 28
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
It would be wonderful indeed if the footage of that scene---which takes place immediately before the Lamento di Federico---could be located, but I think it's a very long shot indeed. After all, not even the cut scenes from The Great Caruso have ever emerged.

In the case of Serenade, however, we do know what happened in that missing scene with Kendall and Damon. For copyright reasons I can't reproduce it word for word here, but you're right: it was an important scene---and a well-written one too.

In it, Kendall visits Damon in his dressing room just before his performance in L'Arlesiana. She tells him that she'd tried for months to find him in Mexico "to make amends" for her mistake in abandoning him. When Damon tells her that he's married now, she accuses him of doing that just to pay her back. He then angrily retorts that it had nothing to do with her---to which she replies, "Can you touch me and tell me that?" Realizing that Damon is unnerved by her words, she then delivers her parting shot: "It's not over, is it? ... Why lie to yourself? It'll never be over."

Damon is left standing alone "motionless."

Quite a dramatic scene!

If you'd like to know more about how the screenplay differs from the released film, there's a detailed post here that you can read.

On Tuesday, May 28, 2024 at 9:25:39 PM UTC+9 leatha...@gmail.com wrote:
"Serenade" has a missing scene, which seems vital to the rest of the film.  Found this photo, and wondered if somewhere in a vault this scene could be found, and returned to any future DVDs.

Tessa1111

May 28, 2024, 11:29:18 AMMay 28
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Thanks so much for the dialogue....was also wondering if the "note" he carries on stage is a love note from her??  Which may be why his hand is shaking so badly, struggling to finish singing and not breaking down.
Appreciate the reply so much!!

Tessa1111

May 28, 2024, 1:20:17 PMMay 28
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Do you also have a link here to "The Great Caruso" deleted scenes...curious.

Derek McGovern

May 28, 2024, 8:23:48 PMMay 28
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
Just quick answers to your two questions:

1) Firstly, the note that Mario is holding in the Lamento scene has nothing to do with the Kendall Hale character; it's part of the plot of L'Arlesiana. The note is actually a letter detailing the betrayal of the woman who Federico loves---hence Mario's intensity here.

2) I don't have access to The Great Caruso screenplay, but we do know that up to three scenes with Jarmila Novotna were cut, and possibly filmed scenes in which Mario sings "Santa Lucia" and the Improvviso from Andrea Chenier as well, since he recorded both of those numbers for the film.

You can see photos of two cut scenes with Novotna here: https://www.mariolanzatenor.com/miscellaneous.html

Tessa1111

May 28, 2024, 9:03:36 PMMay 28
to Mario Lanza, Tenor
I was aware of the note in the aria itself, but...something about the way he's emoting and shaking...could be just from the conversation prior too...but....hmm.
Thank you for the help with the missing scenes in 'The Great Caruso."  Wish they'd done "deleted scenes" for all Mario's films like they now do with more modern films.  Sad really...feel like we're missing some of his wonderful work.  I do so appreciate you compiling those radio/concert CDs for us to listen to.  Particularly, have fallen in love with the "Prince Albert Concert,"  Blue Blue sky which makes me bawl like a baby.